1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can anyone give me some advice on working in international schools?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by tigerbaba, Feb 14, 2012.

1. tigerbaba

tigerbaba New commenter

My wife and I are both primary/secondary teachers nearing 50 (!) but considering to move abroad to teach. Any advice about a good country to start with? I have heard, in a cursory manner, the middle east - Bahrain. We don't have children and therefore less ties with UK but a fairly hefty mortgage! Any advice based on experience would be appreaciated. Thanks.

2. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

This is a very broad question and so I would suggest browsing the boards or doing searches for specific countries and then asking more targeted questions.
    Yes, many people enjoy teaching in the ME, many do not. I would check the news which may steer you away from some places at the moment (e.g. Bahrain, Syria and even Egypt, although events will not throw some people off there).
    That leaves many places that are relatively stable and that have a number of decent to very good schools, including the UAE (Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah), Qatar, Kuwait, Oman and Saudi Arabia.
    Many people also enjoy Asia as reasonable places to live and teach. China, Malaysia, Thailand are good places to investigate (I am currently in China).
    Good schools may allow you to save and/or pay on your mortgage, or you may try to rent your home to offset the money drain.
    This is a very large area to discuss and consider so do some research on countries, see what jobs are available on TES etc and consider joining one of the recruiting agencies such as Search Associates. And keep asking questions.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I have sent ou a PM, tigerbaba. I, too, am no longer the young hippo I once was and am now in my 50s.