1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can anyone give me an idea for my Science display please?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thedancingqueen, May 5, 2011.

1. I put up a display just after Easter about life cycles. I'm on my final block placement in a year 5 class and so far the display is about the life cycle of a caterpillar and frog (explaining the stages and there are photographs to illustrate) and I've got a plant section as well. So far, we've only covered animal life cycles. Tomorrow in art, I want the children to make something small for the display. I bought some foam sheets today, some aluminium paper and some tissue paper. The obvious answer is probably to make small ladybirds etc but there are a selection of colours and I don't want a mad scramble and everyone wanting to do the same thing. They know a lot more about animal life cycles now so it would be nice for them to have a chance to show it somehow. There isn't too much room on the display but if they make something small each, there would be room. Can anyone suggest what I should ask them to do please? I want to ask them something specific so that they're not all doing e.g. a ladybird. I just want them to have some input and for them to gain as much as possible from it but I don't think I'm good at coming up with ideas for things to make. Hope to hear your suggestions soon. I need more ideas before tomorrow.

2. I put up a display just after Easter about life cycles. I'm on my final block placement in a year 5 class and so far the display is about the life cycle of a caterpillar and frog (explaining the stages and there are photographs to illustrate) and I've got a plant section as well. So far, we've only covered animal life cycles. Tomorrow in art, I want the children to make something small for the display. I bought some foam sheets today, some aluminium paper and some tissue paper. The obvious answer is probably to make small ladybirds etc but there are a selection of colours and I don't want a mad scramble and everyone wanting to do the same thing. They know a lot more about animal life cycles now so it would be nice for them to have a chance to show it somehow. There isn't too much room on the display but if they make something small each, there would be room. Can anyone suggest what I should ask them to do please? I want to ask them something specific so that they're not all doing e.g. a ladybird. I just want them to have some input and for them to gain as much as possible from it but I don't think I'm good at coming up with ideas for things to make. Hope to hear your suggestions soon. I need more ideas before tomorrow.

3. What does your display already consist of?

4. I have an annotated butterfly poster because we have had caterpillars in the classroom (soon to be butterflies). I also have a life cycle of a frog poster which explains the stages and a section about plants but I want to just focus on animal life cycles tomorrow because that's all we've covered so far in the unit. There is key vocab on the display too and a space where the children note their investigation ideas and questions they want an answer to. There are small gaps all around the display so I just want something quite small to fill the space and bring the display to life a bit. The display looks fine I think but if maybe tissue paper was scrunched up to make something, it would lift it off the wall a bit and 'bring it to life'. What are your suggestions please?

5. Ask them to make any part they like?
    Frog spawn
    Tadpoles
    Frogs
    Butterflies
    Catterpillars
    I am not sure why they would do lady birds - isnt their life cycle they are just as they are as adults?

6. Ladybirds have a life cycle which I've taught them about. There are interesting stages of development before they are adults. We did the life cycle of a mealworm too. I'll have to have a think about the display. I don't want to really end up with e.g. 6 caterpillars. Trying to think of a way to organise it and make them look effective. Part of me thinks it won't teach them anything which is probably true. They already know what caterpillars etc look like. It would be nice for them to show which facts etc they have picked up, in a concise way, but I'm not sure how to go about it all. I want to do a good job.

7. Wat about give each table a life cycle and get them to make a fact sheet about it.
    if you message me your email i can show you my display!

8. Spoonbugs for lady birds from Mr Maker Website - cbeebies

get a plastic spoon, fill with clay - stick in 6 cotton buds - dry over weekend paint the next week - dead easy - let me find the website

9. I dont think this 'art' lesson if thats what it is will be any learning about science and since youre not focused on specific art skills wont really be art learning either.
    Think you need to be clearer about what they be learning. Dont really see how making a creature for the display will really show what theyve learnt either.
    Could you maybe give each group a creature and ask them to create a mobile showing the different stages of the lifecycle

10. I know it's not really Art or Science. It's an appalling lesson, if it can even be called a lesson. I'm currently thinking it through but I never really intended to just ask them to make e.g. a butterfly for the display because that would be a complete waste of time. A mobile is a good idea. I always make sure the children gain something from a lesson.

11. Hey! Thanks for the PM Michellie but no offence taken to anything at all!!! If I grabbed the stick at the wrong end ...I hadn't noticed!! .... too insensitive! Just like a challenge! (Actually, I hadn;t bookmarked the thrad and hadn't read the responses!)

Enjoy your teaching, evenyone!