1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can anyone explain this discrepancy?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by littlejackhorner, Oct 17, 2020.

1. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Senior commenter

Lancashire and Merseyside are now both in Tier 3. However, gyms can remain open in Lancashire but not on Merseyside.
    Having severe restrictions imposed is hard but if you understand the reasons behind decisions, then it's easier to accept them.
    Can anyone explain to me why the rules in Tier 3 differ? I thought that the idea of the 3 Tiers was to simplify things but I am still confused and bewildered by the inconsistencies.

2. ajrowing

ajrowing Star commenter

Follow the politics.
    Boris agreed to gyms remaining open in Lancashire because he could then say that naughty Labour Manchester is refusing to go into Tier 3, unlike nice kind Lancashire.
    And don't ask why different areas in Tier 3 get different amounts of government financial support.

3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I am just interested why they talk about a place called "Merseyside". There is no such administrative area, and as it was all up to the Tories trying to shift boundaries to vote in their favour, they should know. (Mind you reports say they didn't know where Warrington was).

ajrowing likes this.
  4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Gyms are not part of tier 3. Neither are bingo halls, open in Merseyside closed in Lancs.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Local authorities are allowed to supplement the basic Tier rules, so there'll be variations.

border_walker likes this.
  6. magic surf bus

It's a metropolitan county of five boroughs, which as you say doesn't include Warrington. It is a thing.

7. gainly

gainly Star commenter

It's probably so that when MP's and government advisers break the rules they can claim they didn't understand them.

8. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

It's totally ridiculous, is all I can say on the matter.

9. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

No it is not! The Tories "invented" Metropolitan boroughs in 1974, and got rid of them again in 1989 because they did not vote Tory and caused trouble like with Degsy in Merseyside. There is no ADMINISTRATIVE area of "Merseyside". They trip themselves up because parts of Lancashire and Cheshire were incorporate into "Merseyside" like the area now known as "Wirral" which was formerly in Cheshire, then briefly Merseyside, now is a unitary authority. Ever heard of the GLC? It does not exist either.

ajrowing and monicabilongame like this.
  10. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Senior commenter

So it seems but the mayor of Liverpool says he wasn't given the option of keeping gyms open.

smoothnewt likes this.
  11. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

It's still a metropolitan county for geographic purposes. Similarly, Middlesex still exists.

12. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

The idea of tiers was that they would be ckeart and the same and everyone would be able to understand them easily. And the first thing that happens is that they're not the same everywhere. So there was really no point in having them.

13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

This whole situation would be different if we had one person, just one person at the top, who was able to say to your question and all the other questions- "Because I say so."
    (There's the magic wand.)

14. magic surf bus

OK, point taken in the strict county admin sense. I'm happy to stand corrected.

However if you ever exceed the speed limit on your scooter in one of the five boroughs you could be pulled over by Merseyside Police, and if your scooter engine overheats it'll be Merseyside Fire & Rescue who puts it out. :)

15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Boris doesn't like being reminded that Liverpool exists.

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Things must be complicated, circa 1970 I used to be able to hop onto a wee boat in Liverpool and hop off at Wallasey never be asked for my passport.

littlejackhorner and ajrowing like this.
  17. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

No point at all over and above it being a paper exercise that keeps a few people busy. And because there is clearly no point to them, many people will stick two fingers up at them.
    Shambles.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It'll all end in tiers.

19. ajrowing

ajrowing Star commenter

No you have to wait until the new year to have to show your passport to move around the UK, got to love Brexit, the gift that keeps on giving.

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I have to do that any way.

SeanbheanMac likes this.