1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can anyone explain how to work out LSA pro rata pay??

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Pinky1982, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Hi,
    I've just applied for a Learning Support Assistant position. Can anyone explain how to work out how much i will be earning monthly? Would i get paid for summer/easter periods?

£15,470 to £16,536 pro rata (Term time only) : 32.5 hours covering the school day

2. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

This varies from area to area but in mine the quoted full-time rate would be for 37 hours a week and 52 weeks of the year whereas I would only be paid for 46.4 weeks (39 at school, 5 holiday and 2.4 bank holiday days) Some authorities might pay a little more, many pay less than 5 weeks holiday! My LA also do some strange adjustment to ours which makes it a few hundred pounds less than my calculation! On this basis your starting rate would be £15470 divided by 52 and multiplied by 46.4, then divided by 37 and multiplied by 32.5 giving a total of approximately £12125. Generally TAs pay is stretched over 12 monthly payments rather than having the full rate and then some weeks without pay - using this method I am paid for 32 hours per week whilst I actually work 36.
    I am seriously considering having a teeshirt made which says "I don't get paid for 13 weeks holiday!" especially since I found out that our Deputy Head thought that I did!

3. R13

R13 New commenter

Trouble is Ophelia (As your post brilliantly shows) it is really complicated. Your T shirt would have to say "I don't get paid 13 weeks holiday, but I do get 5 weeks + 2.4 days, and the money is spread out over twelve equal monthly payments" -

It's not so catchy is it!?!

4. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

LOL, R13 - but everyone else who is employed by the council gets paid for those holidays and no-one complains about their breaks so I assume other people don't mind me having those - it's just that they assume all the rest is paid too! Actually, if I worked in an office I would get 6 weeks holiday, not 5 because of my length of service so I'm actually being treated unfairly in getting less!

5. Surely single status should have ironed inconsistancies like that out Ophelia? Ummm those magic words 'back' and 'pay' are springing to my mind, are you up for another fight?!

6. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

You know me, Mentorist - always ready to do battle!

I believe our unions are starting to have meetings regarding changes offered by the council - haven't heard of any specifically for school staff yet, though. Unfortunately, I suspect that the unions actually agreed to TAs losing the right to extra holiday entitlement for long service a few years back - and that this is one area which the LA do want to make changes to as part of Single Status. We shall see what's on offer now.