1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can anyone be an LA governor

Discussion in 'Governors' started by montiagh, Feb 3, 2012.

1. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

I seem to remember in the past that under legislation that LA governors could only become LA governors if they were either elected councillors or worked for the LA in some capacity. Is it different now, can any one apply and get a position as an LA governor lIke Babcock 4S are advertising?

2. pourquoi

pourquoi New commenter

LEA governors

6.?(1) In these Regulations ?LEA governor? means a person who is appointed as a governor by the local education authority.

(2) A person is disqualified from appointment as a LEA governor of a school if he is eligible to be a staff governor of the school.

Hopefully the above taken from the 2007 regulations will clarify it for you. I am an LA governor and neither of the conditions that you cite apply to me.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

That's never been a requirement AFAIK but in the past many LAs used that as their internal criteria for who they would appoint. Less common nowadays.

4. Ithink the shortageof governors means the LA can't be that fussy! However, I know of a LA where the local councillor gets to choose, or at least confirm LA appointments to all schools in their ward. This seems a bit dodgy to me, since they could use these appointments to favour or block political opponents. Does anyone else know of this system?