1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can anybody tell me legally how many times a 'satisfactory' teacher can get observed in a 'satisfactory' school?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by SIRFRANK, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Hate to pigeon hole people into groups but as a school thats where we are (according to recent observations that is) We have now had 4 since Sept, from SIP/DHT and now acting HT (2 in 2 and a half months)-wonder if anybody had anything from a union or experience p o v as it seems that teachers are being beaten with the stick a lot without much support

2. I am not comletely sure but my union rep told me that they have to give you a reason for all the observations and they can only observe you 3 times in a year for performance management reasons. If it is not for performance management reasons then I am not sure. If you are part of a union have you checked their web site?

3. As with many things in education there is nothing set down in law regarding this and so there is no legal limit on the number of lesson observations you can have. There may well be some sort of agreement (such as that which provides PPA time); 3 times a year rings a bell. 4 since September sounds unnecessary unless you are having problems.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Three times a year for PM. Other than that whatever is deemed acceptable by your HT.

5. Think the last post sums everything up which I wish I could articulate just as well..

I think observations are utterly pointless always have done since my NQT year always will do-later on I will prepare the greatest lesson plan in the history of education, tick all the boxes, make lovely differentiated resources..
    On the day stick to timings, ask a range of questions and play the game-utterly ridiculous in every way