1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can any schools actually afford this?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by henriette, May 25, 2011.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

No INSET on school days and this is Thurs.Fri so it woudl be denied at the first stage
    I <u>possibly</u> could go if:
    a)I pay for it out of my Dept budget of &pound;1000 for the year.
    b) I also pay fo rteh cover out of my budget

2. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

I had a look and agree - it's really expensive.
    I was however amused by this bit:
    'A very relevant way to be kept updated by practitioners with concise, down to earth, useful teaching and learning strategies. Ideas can be taken away and applied the next day!'
    As the conference starts the Friday evening and then runs through the Saturday, that would mean we would apply the ideas on the Sunday!

3. BrightonEarly

Does anyone know who the 'peers' are who will be offering the best practice presentations?

4. So I am not alone, then! I have had no INSET at all this year - not even exam board free courses (because they end up not being free if I have classes to be covered!!!).
    Where is this all leading to?

5. BrightonEarly

Oops - just checked and the conference is Thursday-Friday, so ideas would be applied on the Saturday. So still a little bit amusing.

6. BrightonEarly

Now, I feel very lucky. I will be attending the Cramlington Learning Village conference and the programme looks really good.

7. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

It's daft, isn't it. You're supposed to be at the forefront of the teaching of your subject, to keep up to date with exam board changes, to make appropriate changes to your curriculum and make them work, but nobody will let you go forth and collect the information and data to enable you to do that.
    That was the only downside of being an AST - I was supposed to be at the forefront of MFL teaching, but was never allowed to go and see what the forefront looked like. The powers-that-be were always perfectly happy for me to do INSET for other people, but I was very rarely allowed any myself.

8. dalej

dalej New commenter

I think we need to look for alternative solutions for improving our CPD in these economically strained times in addition to one day courses. Forums, Twitter, Flashmeetings, blogs are fantastic ways of finding out the latest in language teaching. TeachMeets and MFL Show and Tells are also free or low cost opportunities to share good practice some of which are live streamed or recorded. I know these are not for everyone, but if you are looking for free support then these have been proven to be invaluable for those who engage with them.
    Recent CILT and Links into Languages surveys have indicated that language teachers&rsquo; first choice for improving their own CPD is attending external courses. However, as has been said, getting out of school during the week is nigh on impossible at the moment.
    It seems that the way things are going is that individual schools or clusters of schools are clubbing together to pay for a trainer to come in and offer INSET for a day, half a day or as a twilight instead of sending colleagues out to commercial courses in a hotel somewhere with a nice lunch.
    That said, I will be one of the speakers at the SSAT Languages Conference in October and I hope to see some of you there!

Best wishes
    Joe

9. Back in the 1980s before schools became competitive and for some reason we seemed to have more time. However that may have been an illusion as it was pre children days for me, we had a solution to all this.
    A large number of MFL teachers from schools all over the town where I lived, approx 12 schools met on a monthly basis. Mostly we had a guest speaker, including from the exam boards. We mostly met after school, although sometimes it was in the evening. It was social. it was a time to share ideas and pass on news of positions that were becoming vacant. It led to us running our own CSE mode 3. It was also great if you went for a new job as you already knew what the department was like and they had a better idead about you.
    It was a great CPD forum and the cost was minimal, just the speaker's fee where appropriate shared between a large number of schools.

Were we unique in this? It was such a great forum on so may levels. It could be the solution to the current funding crisis.