1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can any recommend a good energy provider?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bedingfield, Nov 19, 2011.

1. bedingfield

bedingfield New commenter

I have just had my latest gas bill from British Gas and they have messed up with the direct debits over the past 6 months so that we now owe £350! I know that perhaps my OH should have queried the fact that the monthly instalments had been reduced to £3 per month but our last statement said that we were £200 in credit so took that to be the reason. In fact we weren't that much in credit as they had not deducted it correctly from the outstanding bill of the last quarter. The meters are read regularly so I agree with the amount of gas used and it isn't that we can't pay, but I am a bit annoyed that they have made such a big error in the billing.
    I have rang them and they have admitted that it was their error and that as way of apology we can choose to state the amount we will pay off every month and they will credit £10 to our account. They will then review our monthly payments in 2 months time and adjust them accordingly. I just want to pay the amount owed and move to another supplier as I don't trust them any more.
    Looking at the U-switch website the suppliers in our area are British Gas, E-on, EDF and Scottish Power. All offer a similar deal and similar prices. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which offer the best service? I want a supplier that I can move to and set up a direct debit knowing that every thing is in order.

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The supplier offering the most M&S vouchers (or whatever) to sign up with them?

British Gas once forgot to bill us for ages. We ended up having to pay back over £1000 in instalments. We're not with them any more.

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

We're with Utility warehouse, we also get a debit card which gives us 5% off by using certain shops, Sainsburys is one. We've just got solar panels for electricity as well.

https://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/

4. Can definitely recommend scottish power, moved to them March this year because I wasn't happy with the way n power managed my account - when price increases were announced I rang scottish power and they found me a new tariff set to Sept 12 so have had no increase and have just had refund of £150 - I can see very clearly what I'm using/ how much I'm paying , I actually understand it so don't think there will be any errors cos I'm keeping my beady eye on it. They ring back when they say they will and email back very quickly.

5. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

hamster in a wheel?

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I'm with NPower - and have no complaints.

Nice people, they have 'real' people on the phone! ...and so far, very 'disability- friendly'.

7. bedingfield

bedingfield New commenter

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will look at Scottish Power and the Utility Warehouse (haven't heard of them before).
    Lol!. Lovely idea. Sadly the hamster died last year.
    Wondering about harnessing the dog to a treadmill, but not sure how that's going to help with providing gas...