1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can any one help me find some suitable teats!!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by cath1980, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Hi, my baby is almost 5 weeks old, he spent his first 2 weeks in the neonatal intensive care unit as he had feeding difficulties and needed to be tube fed. He is now home, gaining weight and taking his bottles well... but only using the 'one use' sillicone orthodontic teats that they had at the hospital (they are in sterillized one use packs) we have been sterillizing these teats to reuse but they have now gone an orangy colour and it is not possible to put a lid on the bottle when out and about. I have been to boots and mother care looking for orthodontic sillicone teats with no luck, he has difficulty with the NUK teats that I found and on the advice of the outreach staff, ordered a selection off the internet, the NIP range arrived this week but they are far too soft and he sucks them flat so no milk can come out.. am running out of ideas. I need <u>hard(ish)</u> orthodontic sillicone teats that he can not flatten- can any one help?? xx

2. Hi, my baby is almost 5 weeks old, he spent his first 2 weeks in the neonatal intensive care unit as he had feeding difficulties and needed to be tube fed. He is now home, gaining weight and taking his bottles well... but only using the 'one use' sillicone orthodontic teats that they had at the hospital (they are in sterillized one use packs) we have been sterillizing these teats to reuse but they have now gone an orangy colour and it is not possible to put a lid on the bottle when out and about. I have been to boots and mother care looking for orthodontic sillicone teats with no luck, he has difficulty with the NUK teats that I found and on the advice of the outreach staff, ordered a selection off the internet, the NIP range arrived this week but they are far too soft and he sucks them flat so no milk can come out.. am running out of ideas. I need <u>hard(ish)</u> orthodontic sillicone teats that he can not flatten- can any one help?? xx

3. The ones I use with Erin, who granted appears to have no culinary standards whatsoever in terms of bottles, teats, milk temperature or anything - after she was tube fed are just the normal standard Avent system. In hospital I think it was NUK disposables they used - but I was advised before we were discharged by the one staff member in that hell hole who seemed to have a clue that it might be a good idea to bring a couple of bottles in from home to make sure we weren't going to go home and find she wouldn't take the bottles we'd bought.
    I'd be pushing the hospital for some advice (and blagging some more teats off 'em while you hunt for your own lol). Granted we got zero aftercare at all - but sounds like your place is more supportive than ours!

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It's worth showing the midwife that you're having no success getting ones that work for him: I know they got me more (nipple shields/teats - can't remember) from the hospital in the end, because I couldn't find any which worked.

5. cheekychops

cheekychops New commenter

Don't know if it will help but my five week old grandson uses Tomee Tipee variflo teats milk comes out according to how h
    hard baby sucks

6. Try 'Griptight' ones - you can get them on Amazon for really cheap.

7. I find Erin collapses her teats when she's ready to move up a size - just might be worth considering?

8. I know they got me more (nipple shields/teats - can't remember) from the hospital in the end, because I couldn't find any which worked.[​IMG]

9. Hi,
    I hope that you are now sorted with teats for your little one but in case you're not I just wanted to mention that I saw packs of the disposable teats with the little bottles like you get in hospital in boots. I was very annoyed because we had the same problem and I couldn't find them at the time. My son is now using the nuk ones. I hope that's helpful. Good luck!
    Sx