1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can any KS2 teachers help?....desperate need of assistance

Discussion in 'Science' started by lperxx, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Can any KS2 teachers help with this. My brother is in his final year at University doing a computer studies degree, and for his dissertation he has chosen to do a physics KS2 java program. The dilema is he needs it evaluated by a handful of teachers, all it involves is a 10 minute video and a few short questions to answer. He has emailed and written to a number of primary schools but as of yet no-one has even replied..and he has to complete the evaluation and results this weekend...I am hoping there a are handful of generous hearted people on here who would be happy to help out.
    Just a short synopsis below on what the programs intentions are :

The program is a physics simulation designed to help children learn and understand how forces can affect objects, by allowing pupils to manipulate certain variables and observing how that object behaves. Pupils are able to learn about friction by altering the floor surfaces smoothness / roughness, and also adjust the initial pushing force to move the object. The program shows them visually how their speed decreases quicker, and how they travel less far as the roughness of the surface is increased and vice versa. The program also covers projectiles and allows pupils to fire a projectile from a cannon and observe how gravity pulls the object back down. Can the pupils find the optimum angle for launching from the cannon when there is no air resistance, and just gravity acting on it ? The second part to the cannon game adds in air resistance. Pupils can choose different shapes to fire from the cannon and observe how some shapes are better at travelling through air than others with the more streamlined one obviously travelling further. It also allows for pupils to adjust how thick the air is the projectile must travel through. The third part adds wind, and again allows pupils to fire a projectile and alter air thickness, wind strength, and wind direction. The last game allows pupils to change the size of a parachute and observe a falling objects speed under gravity and air resistance without the parachute, and once opened, observe how that speed changes depending upon the size of the parachute they chose. I have also chosen to include when terminal velocity is reached, although i gather it is not taught to pupils at key stage 2, i felt it would be a welcomed addition. Short explanation for TV is that it occurs when the drag force the object experiences, is equal to gravity, thus it cant fall any faster.

Some email programs will put the video at the top of this page. If you can not see the video click here in order to view the program http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W_Hn9FwDao

Evaluation Questions

Scale 1- 5 (1 = strongly disagree, 2 disagree, 3 neither agree/ disagree, 4 agree, 5 strongly agree)

1: The program would be beneficial to help children in their understanding of forces :

2: The program would be useful as an aid alongside traditional means of teaching forces :

3: The program covers correct material taught at key stage 2 :

4: The graphical look of the program is suitable for this age group :

5: Pupils would enjoy playing this program :

Do you have any recommendations on how the program could be improved ?

What did you like or dislike about the program ?

Was there any part of the program you particularly liked more than the rest ? For instance, firing from a the cannon, or sliding along different surfaces

Have you yourself used any programs similar to this before ?

Do pupils use any similar programs in school to teach forces ?
    if so, where would this program stand alongside: (1 = not very good, 5 = very good)

Many thanks for taking the time to view and evaluate this product for me, it is very highly appreciated.
    If you do wish to help can you message me your answers and your name and the school and area which you teach at....again thank you so much..x

2. Can any KS2 teachers help with this. My brother is in his final year at University doing a computer studies degree, and for his dissertation he has chosen to do a physics KS2 java program. The dilema is he needs it evaluated by a handful of teachers, all it involves is a 10 minute video and a few short questions to answer. He has emailed and written to a number of primary schools but as of yet no-one has even replied..and he has to complete the evaluation and results this weekend...I am hoping there a are handful of generous hearted people on here who would be happy to help out.
    Just a short synopsis below on what the programs intentions are :

The program is a physics simulation designed to help children learn and understand how forces can affect objects, by allowing pupils to manipulate certain variables and observing how that object behaves. Pupils are able to learn about friction by altering the floor surfaces smoothness / roughness, and also adjust the initial pushing force to move the object. The program shows them visually how their speed decreases quicker, and how they travel less far as the roughness of the surface is increased and vice versa. The program also covers projectiles and allows pupils to fire a projectile from a cannon and observe how gravity pulls the object back down. Can the pupils find the optimum angle for launching from the cannon when there is no air resistance, and just gravity acting on it ? The second part to the cannon game adds in air resistance. Pupils can choose different shapes to fire from the cannon and observe how some shapes are better at travelling through air than others with the more streamlined one obviously travelling further. It also allows for pupils to adjust how thick the air is the projectile must travel through. The third part adds wind, and again allows pupils to fire a projectile and alter air thickness, wind strength, and wind direction. The last game allows pupils to change the size of a parachute and observe a falling objects speed under gravity and air resistance without the parachute, and once opened, observe how that speed changes depending upon the size of the parachute they chose. I have also chosen to include when terminal velocity is reached, although i gather it is not taught to pupils at key stage 2, i felt it would be a welcomed addition. Short explanation for TV is that it occurs when the drag force the object experiences, is equal to gravity, thus it cant fall any faster.

Some email programs will put the video at the top of this page. If you can not see the video click here in order to view the program http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W_Hn9FwDao

Evaluation Questions

Scale 1- 5 (1 = strongly disagree, 2 disagree, 3 neither agree/ disagree, 4 agree, 5 strongly agree)

1: The program would be beneficial to help children in their understanding of forces :

2: The program would be useful as an aid alongside traditional means of teaching forces :

3: The program covers correct material taught at key stage 2 :

4: The graphical look of the program is suitable for this age group :

5: Pupils would enjoy playing this program :

Do you have any recommendations on how the program could be improved ?

What did you like or dislike about the program ?

Was there any part of the program you particularly liked more than the rest ? For instance, firing from a the cannon, or sliding along different surfaces

Have you yourself used any programs similar to this before ?

Do pupils use any similar programs in school to teach forces ?
    if so, where would this program stand alongside: (1 = not very good, 5 = very good)

Many thanks for taking the time to view and evaluate this product for me, it is very highly appreciated.
    If you do wish to help can you message me your answers and your name and the school and area which you teach at....again thank you so much..x