1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can an overseas trained Q.T.S. holder (Induction Year recognized) complete an NQT year in the UK?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by lacris, Jul 16, 2015.

1. I am an overseas trained Teacher from a EU country where our Degrees are automatically linked to a Q.T.S. in the UK.

Teachers qualified in my country, upon submitting their overseas Degree with the Teaching Agency are automatically awarded a Q.T.S., where is is clearly stated that ''The holder of this Q.TS. is excempt the Induction Year, due to the European Immigration law law ''blahblahblah''.

This means that Teachers from my country are fully recognized and eligible to teach starting from MP point 1 like any other person that has just completed their Induction Year in the UK.

However due to lack of UK experience and curriculum knowledge it is impossible for them to find a job.

So I was wondering what if one of us wanted to work as an NQT to get the experience? Either take an official NQT year or just get hired on an NQT scale basis to receive the UK experience.

I would appreciate any info!

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

The biggest difficulty would be not being aware of or having experience of the UK system - NQTs normally would have that type of experience in both their own background and their teaching practice, so it is not as simple as 'getting hired' as an NQT....

I would post your query also on jobseekers as theogriff has some excellent advice on this aspect....

best wishes

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I think you have misunderstood something. MP1 is the first step of the main pay scale for teachers, and so NQTs (who are qualified teachers in their first year of teaching) begin at MP1.

The NQT year is just your first year of teaching. An NQT has all the responsibilities of a more experienced teacher. The only difference is that during this year, the NQT receives support from an NQT mentor (usually another teacher at the school) and teaches an 80% timetable (10% off for "NQT time" - which can be used for extra planning, going on courses, anything the NQT needs - as well as the standard 10% off for PPA time). The NQT is also observed regularly and assessed against the teaching standards, to ensure they can teach properly. This is obviously helpful for a newly qualified teacher, but it is more work for the school. So it is likely to be more difficult to find an NQT job, rather than a job on MP1 but not requiring induction.

If you want to work in the UK but are struggling due to a lack of UK experience, two options are to volunteer in a school or to find work as a supply teacher. Good luck!

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Formal induction is a statutory requirement for UK trained teachers only. As your teaching qualification is from an EEC countries, then if you are recognised as a teacher in your home country you can apply for QTS recognition to teach in England via the NCTL website.

Do not confuse NQT induction with a Schools own specific induction programme for new teachers joining them including experienced teachers.

I know quite a few EEC trained teachers joining schools in my area this year.

5. Thank you for your reply. I am personally an experienced Teacher in the UK so I do not have the issue mentioned. I am already aware of the responsibilities of an NQT; The main issue with volunteering is that 1) schools are not always open to volunteers unless they are parents of the school children 2) even at the case of a volunteer you do not get enough curriculum experience in order to continue your career as most of the time you are alocated out of the classroom tasks related to cleaning and copying.

Supply teaching is not for everyone as many agencies refuse to give supply work to unexperienced teachers. I have over 5 friends who have been working in private Nurseries with the EYFS and hold a QTS; yet they have been refused registration for supply teaching due to lack of teaching experience.

Thanks for your effort anyway :)

6. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

No one in England is "eligible to teach starting from MP point 1", there are no national teaching pay scales anymore, it's all about what you can negotiate with a potential employer (who are likely, to make you an offer around what MP1 used to be, of course).

You can't be registered for Induction as you're exempt from it. You just have to apply for a job and get it.

This puts you at an advantage - Induction costs schools time and money. They have to give NQTs a slightly reduced timetable (i.e. they pay the same but get less work for it) and they have to provide a mentor.

As you're exempt from this, you're a 'cheaper hire' than an English NQT and will be attractive to them.

7. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

That's not the reason.

The reason is "over supply" - the agencies refusing to register your friends simply have enough EYFS teachers on their books already and don't want any more.

8. It may be hard to find a job but it's not impossible. I have teacher friends from the EU who qualified in their countries and are teaching in the UK. One as an NQT and another as an unqualified teacher. Could the affected persons try independent schools?