1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

can an NQT get a job in a school where his dad is head teacher?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by spectra75, May 11, 2011.

1. spectra75

spectra75 New commenter

isnt this conflict of interest? Where can someone complain if this happens???

Thank you

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Was the post advertised? Did the NQT apply? Was he the best candidate?

If yes then there is no problem at all.

Does the head often appoint without advertising? If so again this is no different.

Fell sorry for the NQT though. Would have been the last thing I'd have wanted.

3. Depends if they were appointed fairly and Head can prove it was fair.

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

No more than when a teachers child ends up in their school being taught by them.
    You sound a tad bitter. Please do consider how the complaint 'I wanted the job, and they got it' will sound when said out loud....

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not ever had my son apply, but . . .
    Someone that I knew slightly did.
    I therefore publicly and ostentatiously handed over all the dealings with this selection procedure to one of the Deputy Heads, had nothing at all to do with the shortlisting or the interviewing or the decision making.
    All I did was write the official offer letter. Nobody complained when it came out that I knew the candidate previously.
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid.
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

6. This lad should be encouraged to leave home and get a life by his Dad. How can he relax in the staff room and get out from under Dad's shadow or be his own grown up self? I hope they are not causing nausea in the staff room as best pals full of homespun anecdotes and stories of yore. What if he's a useless teacher? If he was brilliant it would be tricky. Should be laws against nepotism to save everyone heaving (couples are worse mind you).

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Not if the person was the best candidate. Nowhere if the person was the best candidate.
    What makes you want to complain - simply that the head's son is a qualified teacher, applied to his father's school for a job and was appointed? Or is he rubbish and you know for certain that better candidates applied?

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I doubt it.
    Unless, perhaps, the HT is called Kim Jong Head and his son is known as Kim Jong NQT.
    Why should you want to? Have you evidence of professional malpractice?

9. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Surely that is up to him to manage? Don't worry about it.
    God forbid. We can't have happiness in our schools, or examples of positive parent child relationships.... yikes.
    I am sure he would be told. Just in the way that the children of teachers come under extra pressure to perform, I am sure he feels the same.
    Yes indeed. Children might.... learn....
    Why is this nepotism??

10. Picking holes in other people's views seems to be a popular pastime on the TES forum. Why do you feel the need to do this? Your picking apart of my view adds nothing to the discussion. How is this helpful? I have a view from my experience of family members working together in schools. Get over it. Nepotism does go on. We do not know if this is the case here either way. A question of nepotism could be the basis of the original post. Your views based on your experience would be interesting.