1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can an individual supply teacher make contact with schools through their company?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by aliceinwunderland, Feb 28, 2016.

1. aliceinwunderland

aliceinwunderland New commenter

I started up a company with company house that's currently inactive but was meant for something else with a friend. Is there anyway I can use that company I created to get some work in schools?

2. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Yes. There is information pinned at the top of the forum about this.

3. PizzoCalabro

PizzoCalabro Established commenter

You DON'T need a company to do direct to schools! (Despite one poster on these thread who constantly bangs on about them.
    I work direct for three schools I approached via email, as well working at others through agencies.
    The three direct schools asked me how I wanted to be paid. I said PAYE, and I am set up on their payrolls and paid PAYE - same as any other employee of their school, monthly into bank account and payslip.
    I would not do it through a company as would need to raise invoices, produce accounts - too much hassle.
    I do not bother spending hours on the phone to HMRC to split the tax codes either - tax is just deducted as normal at source, and I get a refund for the overpayment in July - just in time for the summer holidays.

4. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Pizzo is quite correct, you can just get paid direct through the school's own payroll if you are a qualified teacher with a DfES number. This way you can still contritubute to your Teachers' Pension Fund and if you are public spirited, tax is deducted which continues to fund public services like Education and the NHS.

The point is, agencies are not a necessary part of the process and are definitely not statutory bodies, so if you can do business without them, it makes sense as you won't have to share your earnings.

5. emmalcm1

emmalcm1 Established commenter

I have also been paid directly through a school's payroll before, you don't need to do it through a company. I do find that most schools seem to prefer using agencies though.