1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can an academy reduce my pay?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by morepaperplease, Sep 10, 2011.

1. A am an AST and at the moment something fishy is going on at my school, to say that a group of <u>non</u> ASTs has been formed this year as a teaching and learning group - and my services are no wanted. I have been involved with whole school CPD for a couple of years now and to my knowledge have done this effectively and successfully. My GCSE results are some of the highest in the school.
    What I am concerend about is that as the school doesn't seem to want me involved in teaching and learning anymore - they may turn round to me and say that as I haven't carried out my AST duties (through no fault of my own) they will revert me to UPS and possibly reduce my salary - if i did go back to the normal pay spine I would be on UPS 2 - and think that I would be eligable for UPS 3
    Thanks

2. No, not directly but sometimes actions speak louder than words if you know what I mean. I have a day off timetable supposedly to carry out AST duties - and although we are only one week into the start of term, have been given nothing to do!
    I have done some research on safeguarding - but to be honest I don't really understand how it works - any explantion on that one would be appreciated.
    Thanks

3. pencho

pencho New commenter

Again not wanting to sound funny, but as an AST I think you need to be more proactive. Get out there, do things. What is your subject? What can do you to lead T&L in the department. Where is their underachievement in the school. As someone who is an AST, I would not expect to be told this is what you need to do all the time. You need to putting yourself out there.
    How long have you been in this post? Do you only carry out taks you are directed to carry out. I now lead a team of AST's and it is my expectation for them to be leading from the front. I expect them to come up with ideas and be proactive. This in my opinion is what you need to do.
    Sorry if I sound like I am being awkward. Others may have a different opinion to the situation

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Then find something to do.

5. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

Exactly.
    If you appear to be doing nothing, why should they pay you?
    Having been an AST it is important to be proactive.

6. Whoa there - steady on you lot. My post wasn't about what work I am or am not doing. It was about whether a school can reduce your pay. So if you haven't got any advice on that one then don't waste your time commenting on things that you don't know anything about.
    For your information I can't give too much info about my situation or what I am working on/doing as I wouldn't want my identity to be that obvious. The point that I am making is that irrespective of what I have found to do, the fact that I am and always have taken the initative - the SMT responsible have not given me any projects to work on this year which is totally different from what has happened in previous years.
    Once again my post is about whether an academy/school can reduce your pay - not my ability to be an AST. Cheers

7. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

Sorry.
    In my experience an academy can do pretty much anything they like.
    That was why my first post asked if you were AST in a school that became and academy. If you did not sign a new contract then you are covered by TUPE for a while. Ifyou signed a new contract check it out.
    If you want proper and good advice ask your union.

8. pencho

pencho New commenter

We didn't suggest it was about the work you were or were not doing. The bottom line is if you are an AST (in my opinion) you should be finding things to do, not waiting for someoen to tell you what to do - even if they have done previous years. Plus we are only 1 week in to a new school year.
    I find your original post to be bizarre.

9. Equally, I find the responses bizarre.
    An AST is appointed to raise the standards of teaching and learning. An AST cannot simply decide to march into Mr Smith's lesson to help him with his behaviour management, or to run an INSET on differentiation. These things are planned, timetabled and organised - presumably here by the new group which has been formed. The OP is concerned that their skills are not being incorporated into the school improvement plan and that this might be a sidelining of their role.
    The original idea of ASTs was for outreach work. It is still the case in our LA that for maintained schools, they need permission from the LA to deploy an AST (whose pay is part-funded by the LA) internally to improve their own school and it is only then likely to be granted if the school is deemed to be particularly needy, or occasionally for new ASTs in their first term or so to break them in gently.
    While it is different in an academy, who will be funding your full salary, the principle that ASTs should be supporting other schools may well still be held by SLT. Given that academy principals, with the encouragement of Mr Gove, seem to be on a mission to take over the world, I would suggest that the OP consider that perhaps they are being kept 'in hand' in order to be deployed to support other local schools. They may also see this as an income stream in the new world of academy finances (ie charging other schools for your expertise).
    In terms of your original response: if you were appointed to a permanent AST position, then your contract and pay and conditions remain the same with the academy under TUPE. The only way they can get rid of you is (a) by redundancy or (b) capability. They could try changing elements of your T&Cs in negotiation with the unions, but this would be e.g. hours, salaries, etc. rather than the fact that you are an AST. They are unlikely to change your role so significantly that it is no longer an AST role, as you would have a case for constructive dismissal (you would no longer be able to continue doing the job you applied for).
    Have the SLT put AST time into your timetable? Have you asked your line manager what they intend using you for this year? It may just be that the new management structures are finding their feet and that they have not yet got round to how ASTs might be deployed.

10. Thank you very much for the info - really useful and you clearly understand the situation and can read between the lines. Thanks again