1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can a year 2 have a scribe during the sats?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by takethatno1fan, Mar 24, 2012.

1. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

Thanks Msz, I don't really understand why though if it is permitted at KS2?

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would definitely say that my class this year would revert to telling stories if they had to dictate. Therefore would actually be at an unfair disadvantage if the test wasn't a story and at an unfair advantage if it was.

Year 6 children do tend to know the difference between genres, even orally, more fully.

4. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I'd imagine also, and I'm not 100% sure, that by y6 the level is guided more by WHAT they've written, the content. Of course this is true at ks1 too but particularly at level 1 the physical act of writing is examined - letter formation, spaces between words etc. Also at that age I find chn know perfectly well to use a capital and full stop and when I write a sentence they jump on me if I've missed them, yet when they write themselves they often forget. my year 1s would Get a good sublevel or 2 above if I scribed for them. These skills are (hopefully) more ingrained by y6. Also totally agree about oral storytelling and young children, they wouldn't know how to dictate. When I help my lower ability and say "what sentence do you want to write?" they often tell me their whole story!!

5. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

thanks everybody, your replies have definitely explained it to me more clearly

6. It's still odd that you can get a mark for writing without having written. No wonder people say children come out of primary school unable to write, because they can't. My SEN group would really benefit from a scribe, their imaginations and vocabulary too in some cases, are fantastic, but they can't write enough to get a 1a.

7. It's a good job no one told Stephen Hawking that when he was 'writing' his books.

8. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

we scribed last year for a boy who broke his arm the weekend before. he had to tell the TA what punctuation to put in. we had plenty of evidence anyway of his writing ability so were able to say well, this is his content, his punctuation is evident from his dictation and from this other writing, and handwriting is also in other evidence. spelling's not taken into account until those marks are added in, so that didn't matter. luckily the writing ones were the last ones we did.