1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can a TLR disappear without a restructure?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by starfluf, Feb 5, 2011.

1. My head of department left last year and with him went his TLR! We are apparently having a re-structure next September essentially to save money by going to a faculty system. However is seems entirely unfair that the TLR has conveniently disappeared but the workload for myself and my colleague (both NQTs) has not! Ironically music in my eyes needs a TLR more than some other subjects are we have over 10 instrumental staff to liaise and co-ordinate with!!!

Help and advice kindly received!

2. My head of department left last year and with him went his TLR! We are apparently having a re-structure next September essentially to save money by going to a faculty system. However is seems entirely unfair that the TLR has conveniently disappeared but the workload for myself and my colleague (both NQTs) has not! Ironically music in my eyes needs a TLR more than some other subjects are we have over 10 instrumental staff to liaise and co-ordinate with!!!

Help and advice kindly received!

3. frustum

frustum Established commenter

If you're not being paid to do the HoD work, then there's a strong argument that the workload (or at least some of it) should pass up the management structure, not down. Obviously day-to-day stuff like resources probably ends up with you, but you're not paid to manage instrumental staff. Especially if you're NQTs.

4. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

I have to agree with Frustum...if you're not being paid to lead/manage/coordinate, don't do it!!! Just do what it takes to do your (mainscale?) job of teaching...and let someone else pick up the slack!
    Mark