1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can a TLR be taken away for no reason?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Ches1, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Hope someone can help or at least offer some advice. I have been doing a whole school coordinator job fr the past year. Recently I was told another job was to advertised internally and my role would be combined with this job and was told I would need to reapply. I have been doing both jobs (one paid, one unpaid) for the past year. I was led to believe that having done a good job with my coordinator role (and helped out with the unpaid role), I would be given the combined role - especially having done half of the 'new' job for a year paid already.
    However, I didn't get the job. No one has mentioned the fact that from next year my tlr has gone and my feedback from the interview was that I was 'fantastic', 'really strong' but the other candidate had good ideas. I have been implementing good ideas for the past year and getting excellent feedback for it - I have done so much but gor no recognition for it. Obvously I feel quite bitter about it but more concerned that my tlr can just be taken off me with no reason other than they have combined jobs? I have been doing a good job for so long, it just feels like a massive waste of time and energy and I feel quite unappreciated.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Although you may have lost the post, your TLR should be protected for 3 years (as long as it was not a temporary posisiton) Lots of poeple in my school lost out when Head of Years were replaced by non-teaching staff. They retained their Management points (as was) for 3 years.

3. Hi

I think you should contact your union they will give you accurate info and represent you if anything has changed that shouldn't have.

I was advised by my union that a tlr cannot be taken from you once given unless it was only temporary. They also told me that my new head could not change the duties that were originally given for the tlr.

Good luck andi hope this helps.

4. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Only partly true: a TLR can not be removed or the duties attached to it changed arbitrarily but they can be restructured by the GB (not the head), after 'consultation' with the staff. Once passed by the GB the duties of a TLR can disappear, but the money is safeguarded for 3 years, although it will be eroded by any pay rises. The school can require the ex-TLR postholder to carry out alternative duties commensurate witht the pay level of the TLR - this too can be eroded of course. another fine mess RIG got us into.......