1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can a teacher be made to run an extra curricular club after school?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by stress_head, Sep 8, 2010.

1. In reply to OP, in my primary school new members of staff are asked at interview about running an after school club; other more long standing teachers (incl myself) are expected to run an after school club because we are the more senior members of staff! (and I suppose should be setting an example!) Basically, if you want to apply to go through the threshold, you need to be running one! I don't agree with this pressure but with Ofsted looming on the horizon I suppose SMT think it reflects well on the school?!

2. What you do in your own time should be your own choice. It's that simple. If running an after school club is compulsory it should be part of directed time.

3. Regardless of all the messages on this site, this will soon be irrelevant to the majority of teaching staff employed by Academies as they can set their own contracts specifying whatever they want.

4. All the teachers run at least one club, 5 TAs run a club and even the caretaker runs one!!! I, myself, do 9 clubs, both before and after school. Nobody HAS to do this! This may not be the norm but I feel it adds to the rich texture at the school.

5. I was told it was expected that all teachers run at least one club - I thought it was part of directed time, am I wrong?

6. Yes.

God there are some awful Heads out there.

You can't be made to run a club. End of.

For goodness sake talk to your union, it's what they are there for, and what you pay them for.

Get them to investigate the school's directed time too.

Unfortunately, the exception to the above is Academies/Free schools, who despite guarantees to the contrary are already ripping up the Burgundy book and re-writing the rules (not for the better, needless to say.)

If your school is heading down the academy/free school route do all you can to fight it, do NOT believe the guarantees you are given, which so many are now finding are worthless.

7. The SMT member who told me that IS the union rep - I had wondered if it was right as I had done stage 1 union training myself in a previous incarnation but was told it was fine. Hmm.

8. It might be in directed time. But if not, you are not obliged to do it. Although you might like the idea that your school has a 'rich texture', and all the teachers are knackered.

9. Really interesting. In my school running a club is in our contract. I run a club at the same time as a planning meeting; a group of practitioners sit in the classroom whilst the children do 'Construction' club! It is a nightmare.

How does staff meetings work as part of directed time if the employer-

'must not determine how many of the additional hours referred to in sub-paragraph 6 must be worked or when these hours must be worked'

?

10. Well thanks for that "Mistaken". You have no right to make judgements about me especially in such an abusive way. I defy anyone who teaches 30 reception children "lazy" or a "jobsworth"!
    Try posting constructive comments then you might be taken seriously!

11. Well thanks for that "Mistaken". You have no right to make judgements about me especially in such an abusive way. I defy anyone who teaches 30 reception children to be labelled "lazy" or a "jobsworth"!
    Try posting constructive comments then you might be taken seriously!

12. Interesting that 'SMT' and 'Management' are referred to as some separate species. I wonder what their game is? Running a school perhaps? Improving what's on offer for children perhaps? Teaching is a vocation, not a job.
    The question you should ask is not whether you can be made to run a club, but why you don't want to.

13. I think that workload, exhaustion and work life balance has a lot to do with it?!!
    Giving your best to your class responsibility is more imortant than providing after school activities that parents could pay for using outside providers!

14. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

If your school is covered by the STPCD any 'contract' can not supersede its provisions.
    simple: Directed time is set at 1265 hours in a normal year. That is enough for a typical school day, INSET days, a few parents' evenings and a couple of hours after school sessions for 190 days a year. 2 1 hour Directed time sessions after school fits comfortably into my school's Directed Time budget.
    refers to the hours we spend discharging our responsibilities outside of directed time.

15. Mmm... In some cases improving what is on offer at the expense of their staff, and by illegally increasing their hours. But that's OK, because they have a vocation. How much exploitation is justified by that word 'vocation'? Actually, in my experience, it is rarely the management who stay latest and work hardest in a school, and when they put pressure on people to run clubs they rarely muck in and run a club themselves. I would not dream of assuming they do less work than others, for how would I know, but their work outside directed time is done how they want and when they want. And that should be the case for all employed teachers working to the teacher contract. Why would teachers not want to run a club? Because they have a zillion other things to do for school, and in addition stuff for their own family eg their young children and/or elderly relatives, and dare I say it, the occasional outside of school interest.

16. How about this? At my last PM meeting - the one setting targets - it was suggested that my professional development target could be 'running an after-school' club.

17. You sound exactly like the kimd of teacher I dont like to work with. Teaching is a job. You do it for whatever reason you happen to want to do it, and if you do a good job, en your colleagues and bosses will want yiu to keep doing it.

Dont pretend you are special. You are doing a job. As with any job, each of us can decide what our time is worth and what job we want to do. If the salary and conditioned are governed by statutory or other guidelines, then the work arrangements shoild be within those guidelines.

Just how much of a **** do you think you sound by telling someone to question themselves after they quite reasonably ask for advice about their employment?

18. cbmusic88

cbmusic88 New commenter

Welcome to the world of the music teachers and the P.E teachers etc. Most of us run 3-4 after school clubs a week, it's part of being a teacher for our subjects. If a music teaching colleague decided that they were going to quote from the rule book about 'directed time' and refuse to, for example, run the school orchestra, then others in their department would more than likely give them hell. We just accept it is something that goes with the job, man up and get on with it. Sport and music NEED to continue after school, where else do you think we get some of our G&Ts from?
    The way I see it I don't mind the extra shed load of after-school rehearsals/concerts us music teachers do over the school year because if you compare the amount of marking we have to do with the amount an English/Maths/Science teacher often ends up doing (apart from exams/coursework etc) then it's a fair trade off. (I fully expect this statement to start several arguments, but it's got a fair bit of truth in it.)
    The music teacher in this thread who is being asked to run a school concert on a Saturday is being unfairly pushed into something she doesn't want to do. Tell your DH it's a friday evening concert or nothing!
    If the OP is also really not keen to do the after-school club then surely there is no point doing it. At the end of the day we are all role models and there is nothing worse than knowing that your teacher really can't be bothered and doesn't give a hoot. How jolly uninspiring. You can try and pretend you've always wanted to run a chess club/homework club/young apprentice club but these kids aren't stupid, they'll clock on quick enough. Offer to do something else in exchange if neccessary!

19. Thank you lardylegs! So refreshing!