1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can a teacher be made to run an extra curricular club after school?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by stress_head, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Hi,
    After a recent meeting with my SMT I have been asked (told!) I am going to run a sports club after school. I am more than happy to run a club and have done every year. However I had not wanted to run this specific club as it involved fixtures with other schools and thus a much greater amount of my time.
    Can I be made to run a club I don't want to run?
    Thanks for any advice in advance.

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Can you share the trips with someone else?
    If you have extra time on fixtures presumably they will be reducing your core duties (lol).
    Maybe you need to point out that extra time spent doing fixtures takes you out of the classroom when you would be setting it up for the next day / assessing work / preparing resources etc.
    P

3. Amylicorice

Amylicorice New commenter

My understanding is that you cannot be made to run a club, make a preemptive strick with your other club idea and let someone else have the 'experience' of running the other one. last year a teacher spent heaps and heaps of her time running a club out of school which involved lots of coordinating with other schools etc, and they still got rid of her for no particular reason except that they didn't like her, sort of showed me that you should only commit to what you are happy to do without resentment. That way you can keep your balance. All the best with it.

4. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

No as it's then directed time, out of your directed 1265 hours per year.
    Double check with your union for confirmation.

5. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

NASUWT:
    http://www.nasuwt-oxon.org.uk/WhatShouldIDo.htm#5

6. Kelloggs

Kelloggs New commenter

We have no choice as it is built into our directed time!

7. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

If you are being directed to run this club in directed time, fair enough BUT you do not have to do anything outside of that directed time - hence almost certainly no away fixtures or working on arrangements in your lunchtimes or after school beyond directed time. Simply make this clear to management.
    In most primary schools a couple of hours after school of directed time a week is not unusual - it depends entirely on the times you are required to be in school and the after school meetings you have to attend.

8. My old Head used to make everyone do a club for an hour after school once a week. We were delighted when her successor said we didn't have to, but less so when he instigated two staff meetings a week that last longer than the club ever did. Bottom line is, SMT get you either way!

9. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

true... but what are they getting? Management have the right, duty even, to direct the work of the staff during directed time. If the activity is ineffective, unpopular or seen as an imposition by staff then management are wasting a valuable resource.

10. YesMrBronson

I realise you're on the side of the OP becktonboy ([​IMG]) but you're wrong about it being "fair enough". This is from the NASUWT and is referencing the Burgundy book:
    "You can’t be made to do clubs or activities outside the
    timetabled day, i.e the time when <u>all</u> pupils are required to be present.
    Once pupils are free to go home or stay, further contact with them is
    entirely <u>voluntary</u>."
    OP, unless they're going to pay you then you shouldn't do it (unless of course you want to).

11. YesMrBronson

See above post and speak to your union rep. Perhaps the members need a meeting if there's a lot of unhappiness about this.

12. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

At one school I know, all internal moves (or vavancies) are "rewarded" with a brand new contract which forces the candidate into agreeing to do an after-school club once a week.

13. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

the NASUWT advice is of little relevance, except to its members seeking to implement policy but I would definitely be interested to hear about the specific sections of the Burgundy Book which protect staff from being directed to work with children in directed time - can you reference for it MrB? it would be a valuable protection for many teachers 'expected' to undertake this kind of work and I have never known of a provison to protect them.

14. nikkib_1986

nikkib_1986 New commenter

As a music teacher I run extra-curricular clubs at lunchtime 4 days a week. As a comprimise my school have agreed to give me free lunches fro now as I am supervising a large group of children.
    My problem is that we have a xmas concert on a saturday that we do every year which is in the middle nowhere (we have links to the village where the church is from way back when). We have always given up our day for free (leaving school at 8am and returning at 11pm) but should we be paid for this? I'm getting past the point of doing things for the CV as my school is taking the p**s with when and where they want music as part of school "celebration" events.
    Any advice?

15. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Well, you certainly can't be forced to do it, you are absolutely protected by the STPCD. You can just tell them you won't be doing anything outside directed tme for free any more, which won't be liked......but then you don't like the school taking the p*** so it may come down to a p***ing contest - which you will win. Alternatively you can raise the subjkect of time off in lieu for any time given up - handy coming up to Christmas......

16. YesMrBronson

If you're happy with that then obviously that's great (and none of business). However, I'd point out that unless you're an exceptionally big eater then the school are effectively paying you <&pound;3 for that hour.

17. YesMrBronson

I agree. This would be a good idea initially.

18. YesMrBronson

I've not had much time to look today (will have a further look this week) however I've found the following which may apply:
    Burgundy book p109. When referring to the 195 days 1265 hours:
    Ok but......
    What do you think BB?

19. YesMrBronson

From the burgundy book (STSPAC):

20. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

thanks for taking the trouble MrB.
    The protection offered only covers hours outside of directed time and the passage you quote (which are pretty much lifted straight out of the STPCD) do not mention session times at all, so as long as they fall within directed time I think a teacher can be directed to teach chidren in the school, even if it is called extra-curricular.
    The real route to address any abuse here is to make sure the Directed time limit is not being exceeded in the school - I would bet it is.