1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can a sponsored silence a literacy activity?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by InnerQuest, Mar 14, 2012.

1. I was going to suggest an activity for KS2 which is a sponsored silence for I Can a charity for children (see below) but I wondered if I could justify it in terms of literacy or should it be PSHE?
    Any thoughts?
    =======
    I CAN’s Sponsored Silence is a fun way for School children to challenge themselves to stay quiet for as long as possible and use their own creativity to find new ways to communicate.

By taking part in I CAN’s Sponsored Silence children will learn to empathise and develop an understanding of children who may struggle to communicate.
    After participating in the Silence, everyone will appreciate how important it is to be able to talk and be understood.

Every penny raised will go towards helping the one in ten children in the UK who struggle to communicate.

Taking part couldn’t be easier. Register at http://www.ican.org.uk/Support-us/Fundraising%20Events/Sponsored%20Silence.aspx NOW or your free fundraising pack, which contains everything your class will need to take part in the sponsored silence, including fundraising tip and lesson ideas.

2. I was going to suggest an activity for KS2 which is a sponsored silence for I Can a charity for children (see below) but I wondered if I could justify it in terms of literacy or should it be PSHE?
    Any thoughts?
    =======
    I CAN’s Sponsored Silence is a fun way for School children to challenge themselves to stay quiet for as long as possible and use their own creativity to find new ways to communicate.

By taking part in I CAN’s Sponsored Silence children will learn to empathise and develop an understanding of children who may struggle to communicate.
    After participating in the Silence, everyone will appreciate how important it is to be able to talk and be understood.

Every penny raised will go towards helping the one in ten children in the UK who struggle to communicate.

Taking part couldn’t be easier. Register at http://www.ican.org.uk/Support-us/Fundraising%20Events/Sponsored%20Silence.aspx NOW or your free fundraising pack, which contains everything your class will need to take part in the sponsored silence, including fundraising tip and lesson ideas.

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Why are you trying to "justify" it as anything?
    Personally, it strikes me as a mix of both, and if I were to be hosting it for some reason then I would be treating it as such.
    Remember that in the real world "literacy" and "PSHE" are not really things, let alone distinct things!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We did a 'read a thon' recently for charity. FS/KS1 did paired reading in the hall for about 15 mins and KS2 did silent reading in the hall for about 30 mins later in the day. Justified literacy and raised money for charity.

5. Hahahahahahahaha I bloody love this! [​IMG]

6. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I'd pay the blighters myself if they kept quiet for more than 60 seconds at a time.