1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can a secondary teacher teach in primary school ... if it's an academy?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by richest1, Jul 18, 2019.

1. richest1

richest1 Occasional commenter

Just thinking in the old days you couldn't and needed a second qualification. However some one told me now Academies can allow this.

It would be for a day or 2 after retiring thus summer.

Thanks.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

QTS qualifies you to teach at any level and always has.

Whether you can persuade a Head you are competent to do so is the big question and it sounds as if you have.

Pomza and Marshall like this.
  3. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Throughout my career, teachers have occasionally moved from secondary to primary (including one who went from secondary classroom teacher to primary DH)
    I even remember one of my own teachers making such a move back in the 60s

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

I know someone who taught secondary for a few years then changed to primary. All in state schools.

5. richest1

richest1 Occasional commenter

Thanks all.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Well I do it...started in secondary and gradually moved to younger and younger years and now teach a nursery class.

No need for any retraining or additional qualifications.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

What Lara says, there are no rules (never have been) about whether someone who trained as secondary can teach in a primary or vice versa. Your QTS qualifies you to teach in any type of state school, primary secondary or special. Whether LA or academy makes no difference.

The issue isn't what you are legally allowed to do but the experience that a head is looking for when filling a specific post. Anecdotally it is easier for someone with secondary training and experience to get a job in primary than vice versa. You will probably end up as subject leader for whatever your subject is quite quickly! I know of several secondary teachers who moved to primary successfully.

There used to be courses for secondary teachers wanting to move to primary but I've no idea if any of these still exist.

Lara mfl 05 and Pomza like this.