1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can a secondary school teacher work as an early years teacher?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by laurajane7, Feb 26, 2019.

1. laurajane7

laurajane7 New commenter

Hi! I curently work as an AEYP and was previously a childminder, and before that a secondary Maths teacher. My question is would I be able to go into a role of EYT with my qualifications or would I need to do some training or conversion course? My training for early years was just a council run course to become a childminder, and for teaching I have QTS. TIA for the advice! Laura

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

With QTS you are qualified to teach any age group, no matter which age group you trained in. Of course you would need some kind of experience with younger children in order for schools to take your application seriously... but with your work as a childminder, it sounds like you have that. Good luck!

3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

In a school yes you can, but whether or not you would get a job above someone else with experience is another story.
    If going into an early years setting, eg nursery or preschool school, you are much less likely to get a job unless you can demonstrate that your knowledge is up to date. Your childminding experience would help you if it's recent.
    Best thing is if you can volunteer at a local setting, read up on the EYFS and start applying for jobs. You never know.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I started my career as a secondary maths teacher and now teach a nursery class.

I'm not totally sure what an AEYP is, but it sounds like it's in early years, so I'd get on and apply and see what happens.

5. zippygeorgeandben

zippygeorgeandben Occasional commenter

I think the OP would love to know what you think about it now caterpillartobutterfly if they come back to this thread!