1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can a school state this?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon3407, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Basically there's an advert on here for work at an independent faith school. The advert specifies that they will only accept male applicants as it's an all boys school.

I didn't know schools could do that. Or are there different rules for independent/faith schools/both?

Just curious really.

2. Basically there's an advert on here for work at an independent faith school. The advert specifies that they will only accept male applicants as it's an all boys school.

I didn't know schools could do that. Or are there different rules for independent/faith schools/both?

Just curious really.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I don't know.
    Certainly some jobs can specify gender - those which require "personal or intimate care", for example.
    [​IMG]<u>Can jobs ever be restricted to one sex?</u>
    In very limited circumstances, there are some jobs which can require that the job-holder is a man or a woman. This is known as an 'occupational requirement'. The list of occupational requirements is restricted. One example is where the job holder is likely to work in circumstances where members of one sex are in a state of undress and might reasonably object to the presence of a member of the opposite sex such as a bra-fitting service. http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1814
    P.E. teachers can sometimes come into this category, but has to be very carefully worded or they could get hammered. The school has to believe (and would be wise to check with a lawyer) that there is a genuine occupational qualification, as set out in the prevailing legislation, because the duties or the nature of this post require the teacher to be of a particular gender.
    As this is employment law, not education law, independent schools have to comply with the no-gender bias. So the fact that it is an indy school could not explain this.
    But faith schools in general? I would have thought that they would have to follow employment law too. Mind you, not everyone agrees with this: here is an, ehum, an interesting article . . .
    http://www.fatwa-online.com/fataawa/worship/knowledge/9991018_79.htm
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

4. Mmmm, maybe it's the fact it's an Orthodox Jewish school means they can state they only want male teachers (although you don't have to be Jewish to apply there according to the advert).

A a Jew myself (although not Orthodox) I suppose I could see how some more religious people may object to women teaching the boys (sort of maybe goes along the same basis as Orthodox synagogues not having female rabbis and the men and women sitting separately).

Also, as the advert is on here I'm assuming it's maybe been looked over to make sure it goes with guidelines.

I don't know. I was just curious, like I said.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Interesting . . .
    As I said, I think that they would have to have it looked over very carefully by a lawyer . . .
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars