1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can a school operate without a Child Protection Officer

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MalonsMilk, Mar 12, 2012.

1. MalonsMilk

MalonsMilk New commenter

I have quite an urgent question to ask and wondered if anyone could help me. I'm being habitually left in charge of a school
    when the head and senior teacher both decide to go out on courses together. At the moment it's registering at about twice a week. It is a small school with only two classes but a high number of SEN children. I am just a regular teacher and am getting very uptight with the Head playing fast and loose with safety at her school. I am left alone with just 2 TAs, no CP officer at school and no clue what to do IF a problem arose. She has been bullying me into this very unsafe position claiming that it's fine to do this. Is it?

2. MalonsMilk

MalonsMilk New commenter

I have quite an urgent question to ask and wondered if anyone could help me. I'm being habitually left in charge of a school
    when the head and senior teacher both decide to go out on courses together. At the moment it's registering at about twice a week. It is a small school with only two classes but a high number of SEN children. I am just a regular teacher and am getting very uptight with the Head playing fast and loose with safety at her school. I am left alone with just 2 TAs, no CP officer at school and no clue what to do IF a problem arose. She has been bullying me into this very unsafe position claiming that it's fine to do this. Is it?

3. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

Think this is quite common in small schools. Some small schools have a system whereby they link with another local school if there is a big emergency. You should also be able to contact your head by phone.I don't see why this is a major safety problem. Do you have a supply teacher in to cover the other class or are you left with the whole school? As a teacher you should be aware of the schools policy and proceedures if there is a "problem".

4. MalonsMilk

MalonsMilk New commenter

We're not linked to another school to my knowledge and no there is no supply teacher either.

5. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

So how many children are you and the TA's left with? Is there any other staff eg office in the school with you?

6. MalonsMilk

MalonsMilk New commenter

They are both regular sized classes and their is an office admin however their are serious incidents that take place in the other class every week (children walking out of school, assaulting staff etc). I dont feel that the school is safe or the staff with so few adults when so many children could kick off at anyone time.

7. The CP office issue is not important here really since as in many schools there is only one who is often the HT whose often out this role doesnt make school or pupils safe. All staff should be clear about what they need to do re if a child makes an allegation that needs referring. However i dont think this sounds like what youre really talking about. It seems more to me that you have issues re behaviour management which you need to sit down with HT and discuss. You should also have clear guidance and plan re what to do in specific circumstances eg a chlid walking out of school, staff assault and whatever other issues you feel happen to ensure that they are followed through appropriately and how this impacts on where you are and what happens to your class.
    By regular do you mean 30?

8. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Personally, if I felt I was being left in an unsafe situation, and that the Head would not heed my concerns, then I would let him know that I intended to make the Chair of Governors aware of them.

9. MalonsMilk

MalonsMilk New commenter

I have no issues with my class and I have taught all of the children in the school who at the time behaved to an acceptable standard. However, yes I am unsure what to do if and when a situation occurs - I am worried for the TA who is being left in charge of a class on her own and worried for the pupils in that class too (several have developed anxiety issues over the past 6 months). I am contacting the Head Governor tomorrow to express my concerns and yes she also has major concerns with the current running of the school.

10. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

I would talk to your head first. You aren't really giving them the chance to change things before running to the chair of governors.
    The situation obviously needs sorting though as it's not fair on you. Clearly it's a situation you aren't confident with. Why are they out so often? This isn't uncommon for heads but I've never known a deptuy to be regularly out twice a week.

11. MalonsMilk

MalonsMilk New commenter

I have expressed my concerns before on countless occasions and it is always myself that has to take the reigns which I have been doing even in my NQT year (which I'm not far out of). Before I came teachers always refused to take on the responsibility of the whole school and TAs were left in charge instead. Unfortunately I don't think I can tell you why both deputy and head are out at the same time but it would raise eyebrows...