1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can a school do this?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by anon8315, Feb 27, 2012.

1. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Recently I was supposed to attend an important meeting periods 1 and 2. Because our CSs are being used a lot at the moment supply were booked to cover me, only the supply teacher they booked turned up nearly an hour late because of car trouble.
    I understand this happens but it did mean I missed my meeting and had to stay with my class.
    The school have since told me they sent the supply teacher home (as by the time she got to school I couldn't have gone to the meeting) and didn't pay.
    I'm just wondering if schools can do this?

2. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Recently I was supposed to attend an important meeting periods 1 and 2. Because our CSs are being used a lot at the moment supply were booked to cover me, only the supply teacher they booked turned up nearly an hour late because of car trouble.
    I understand this happens but it did mean I missed my meeting and had to stay with my class.
    The school have since told me they sent the supply teacher home (as by the time she got to school I couldn't have gone to the meeting) and didn't pay.
    I'm just wondering if schools can do this?

3. ITA76

ITA76 New commenter

They can do it and they do do it!

4. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

No two ways about it.

5. It would be wrong financially speaking for the school to do anything else but send him/her home without pay whne they have been specifically brought in for a meeting from say 9-11am, if they do not turn up in good time, regardless of the reason.
    Harsh maybe, but it really is no different to how we perceive any other good/service provider. If Tesco doesn't have what you want you either go elsewhere or go without...
    IN the current climate in most schools, this will become even more important to be more and more financially savvy.... there really are little funding opprtunities about to gain more...

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Yes, and it makes good financial sense to have done so.

7. They can even send supply home without pay if they turn up on time. Supply staff have next-to-no rights - sad but true.

8. What about petrol money?