1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can a recent grad get a work permit/ Z visa without the certificate (China)

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by kier_sheehan, Jun 29, 2020 at 10:28 PM.

1. So I've recently finished my degree but do not have the certificate yet and won't receive it anytime soon due to COVID. Can I get a work permit/ Z visa for china without the certificate? I can prove I've attended and completed my degree with grades, SFE evidence and letters from the Course leader.

2. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Possibly, if you can get an authorised transcript from your uni and get it legalised and authorised. Best thing is to ask your school.

3. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

It's the legalised and notarized bit that's important.

4. shazzamac

shazzamac New commenter

You won't be getting into China anytime soon. So you probably have plenty of time to wait for the actual certificate to arrive anyway.
    China is not like EU...its borders are staying closed and I would not be surprised if it's at least Xmas at the earliest (my guess tho) for any foreigners to get in here. So take your time.

5. amysdad

It won't be that long. Remember, the 'green channels' are for essential workers - they are already letting in headteachers through this, and understand that schools as business can't function without teachers. We'd probably have been on our way had the recent infections not struck Beijing - on good authority, we were within a week to 10 days of getting that approval when the infections arose. It will be end July before the current Beijing restrictions are lifted, and they will make some sort of decision after that.

TusitalaH and TeacherMan19 like this.
  6. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I know as a profession we can take a hammering at times but "essential workers" - English speaking teachers in China?- I am really not convinced that we are. Also I would be surprised if teachers are let back in this year too. You assertion that "it won't be that long" is only your opinion. Anyone putting all their eggs in one basket about returning to China is playing a dangerous game. Don't get me wrong, I hope you are right but I don't think you will be, whilst I would be amazed if any are back for a mid August kick off.

frodo_magic and Laughing Gravy like this.
  7. amysdad

The basis for "essential workers" is judged partly by employers. Schools are businesses, they can't operate without teachers, and if the teachers are kept outside Beijing for as long as some people are saying the schools will simply close (as some already have.) So a school business will definitely be able to argue that teachers are essential to its business (and the EDBs in Beijing at least have already suggested in discussions with schools that they understand this.) In addition, there simply aren't the teachers in China just now who can fill the number of roles affected by this (and the international schools are not going to consider local Chinese staff for the main classroom teaching roles.)

Maybe I'm lucky - my school is in the financial position to see this out, although I know others aren't. Ultimately, we're talking here about the education of some of the more influential parents in China, and I know that many of them are using that influence to help the schools. I doubt we'll be back in the classroom by mid-August, but I would expect the first batch of teachers to be returning around then and at least in quarantine.

8. frodo_magic

frodo_magic New commenter

I can't see China letting teachers in either. C19 is far from over and China is happy to put huge areas in lock down when a relatively small outbreak happens. If you were a Chinese parent there, would you really think about paying for a full-time education when your children are likely to be getting video lessons at best and emailed worksheets at worst? I think the restructuring there for the new world order will take many months if not years. There are other uncertainties starting to rear their head, too; the impact of Emperor Xi's clampdown in Hong Kong will have, and the possibility of sanctions by the UK but also the EU,, the problems Huawei and 5G are going to cause, Trumps unpredictable trade war with China.

9. amysdad

frodo - that's still better than they would be getting in Chinese schools, from my understanding. Bear in mind that the authorities did not allow new learning between January and April in Chinese schools - and in any case, the reason that parents pay to attend international schools in part is because they want the international option and not to have to attend the local school. There may be an issue with what is sometimes called the 'Tier 3' or 'Tier 2' schools where 'international' is simply just a word in the school name, but these are the schools which are the most vulnerable to closure.

Currently in Beijing, there are only around 10% of the expats who were there pre-COVID. The Chinese economy can't operate with that number and needs them to return - and they aren't until they get assurances about schools and families.

suem75 likes this.