1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can a Permanently Excluded student return to the school?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by cityvic73, Jul 2, 2018.

1. cityvic73

cityvic73 New commenter

This student (A) was excluded in Y10 for premeditated physical assault of another student (B). Now student A wishes to return to Sixth Form to do a vocational course. B has left sixth form. Is it legal to reinstate a student after the Governors have agreed to the exclusion? Bit of a strange one!

2. dts

dts Occasional commenter

I certainly don't see how the school could be obliged to allow such a student to return - they have been removed from roll and the phrase "permanent exclusion" seems obvious!

If, however, the head has decided to readmit this student, then I can't be of much help - all the guidance I've read refers to reinstatement after appeal. If this was happening in my school then I would expect the staff to be protesting in the strongest terms, including speaking to the unions and writing collectively to the governors.

3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

This student should not be permitted to return. He is a danger to other students.

binaryhex, cityvic73 and pepper5 like this.
  4. gogogulliver

gogogulliver New commenter

This student has a right to education and should be supported in accessing it, most likely with heavy safeguarding involvement. Second chances are important in life.

The school should seriously think about how they could support this (potential) student. It might not be the place for them but also you shouldn't write someone off because of something they did when they were 14 or 15.

cityvic73 likes this.
  5. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Elsewhere, for the safety of the children around them and that they & this violent student might have a fresh start.

Yes they are, for those whose lives have been impacted by this student also.

Nobody has written off this student but, as the OP says, they are guilty of a 'premeditated physical assault of another student'. There are consequences for violent behaviour and the safety of other students takes priority.

binaryhex and cityvic73 like this.
  6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Certainly unusual, I've never come across it before @cityvic73 . The law of pupil exclusion just refers to "the headteacher may exclude a pupil from the school for a fixed period or permanently" with no indication of whether it's possible to readmit the pupil at a later date. "Permanently" isn't defined.

Who is the admissions authority for 6th form admissions? The governing body? Or is it an academy trust? It's not normally possible to leave all admissions decisons to the head alone.

I can think of 3 possibilities, there are undoubtedly others

1. Permanent means permanent and Pupil A cannot be readmitted under any circumstances even if the trust/governors/head were willing to. There is no discretion.

2. The trustees/governors/head are entitled to refuse admission to the 6th Form because permanent means permanent but have the power to allow admission to the 6th Form at their discretion. The legal grounds for the original PEx were, in part, that "allowing the pupil to remain in school would seriously harm the education or welfare of the pupil or others in the school". So any discretion to admit the pupil to the 6th form would have to be satisfied that this situation no longer applied. That would need a formal risk assessment.

3. 'Permanent' only means until the end of Y11 because Y12 is legally a separate point of entry to the school governed by the school's 6th form admissions policy. So if Pupil A meets the criteria for admission to Y12 he must be admitted and the school has no discretion to prevent it.

I have no idea which of these applies but if I had to take an educated guess I'd say 2.

I agree. It would be a sad day if we stopped believing in people's ability to change and improve their lives. We know nothing about the excluded pupil and what else he has done and have no way of knowing, in this forum, whether he is a danger to anyone. That would need to be established through a risk assessment.

In this case less than 2 years have gone by, but with the growth of All Through schools does a PEx apply forever? A pupil permanently excluded at age 4 or 5 in Reception (yes, it does happen) cannot apply for the 6th form 12 years later?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    cityvic73 and pepper5 like this.
  7. cityvic73

cityvic73 New commenter

She. She is a danger!

8. cityvic73

cityvic73 New commenter

Thank you all for taking time to reply. I take on board all of your points. It is, unsurprisingly, a complex issue, but it is good to hear other perspectives. I would still like to know the legality of this, just out of interest!

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  9. dts

dts Occasional commenter

From Post 6 it sounds as if there may well not be any legal precedent - it would be up to a Head & governing body to make a decision within the law as they interpret it, which could then potentially be challenged in court.

cityvic73 likes this.
  10. feather

feather New commenter

Permanently excluded from a school which has a 6th form is just that a permanent exclusion. The reasons are these. Any other incident howsoever small and an injury is sustained by another, leaves the school exposed to litigation. Any risk assessment will be scrutinised in detail especially if it fails. The complainant will have a field day with the schools insurers and the insurers will not be best pleased with the school. A school can expect a lot of paperwork and hassle. On top of that there could ensue a criminal investigation that feeds straight in to any civil claim. Best if the pupil excluded went elsewhere in the first place.

11. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

Yes, I believe, legally it could be possible with the correct paperwork, risk assessments, planned support and agreement from the Head and Governors. In practical terms it is inadvisable, not because the student doesn't deserve a second chance, but because of the potential for problems should further incidents occur. With the risk of friends/siblings etc of the original victim still being the in school, those problems would be lessened if the student took up a place at a different sixth form.

I presume this is about to happen at your school @cityvic73 Is this something you disagree with or feel uncomfortable about? If so, you should speak to your HOD/Head and request a meeting about it. You should also have the right to a discussion about the school's decision to readmit the student, especially if you will be expected to teach her.

12. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

None of this applies in any way, because in theory (if it were true) it would also apply to any other school admitting the young person as they would have full knowledge of the permanent exclusion.

To answer the OP, yes a pupil can be readmitted after PEX. It is unusual, but essentially it returns through a normal admissions process. The school will have more wiggle room to say no, but if the school feels they wish to offer a place then they can do so.

13. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Jeez. No way would I want a permanently excluded pupil back! It sends the wrong message to other pupils, will make a mockery of ‘permanent’ and may be unfair on teachers who have to deal with the person. Agree with the above comment - if it is seriously being considered, the teachers should make their opinions known to the Governors via Union Reps.

harsh-but-fair and pepper5 like this.
  14. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

The thread started last July, so I suspect the decision was made some time ago.

A school I taught at got rid of a pupil with a managed move to a neighbouring school. He got permanently excluded from there, but ours couldn't refuse to have him back.