1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can a parent request my personal notes from a meeting....

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Thongy1, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Thongy1

Thongy1 New commenter

...at which they were not present, nor invited?

2. This is a very interesting question and it basically comes down to two pieces of legislation - Freedom of Information and Data Protection Act. There are some instances where you might be permitted to keep information that will not be required to be shared - but this would normally have to include details of others. I was always told that unless you would be happy having them see it - don't keep it.

I would assume that in 99% of cases a court would order any information that involves that person to be shared.

What you can do is create a good copy of your notes (as in one that you would be happy to share) and then shred your old notes.

3. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

I believe that they have the right to see anything that is kept on their child. I would want to see notes on a meeting about my child if I was not present or invited. Notes to meetings should always just be a factual transcipt and so it shouldn't be an issue.
    Your union can provide you with the most accurate information though.

4. Could you just re-write the notes, keeping to the information you would not mind being read? Call that first set of notes a draft and shread it quickly. This sort of thing seems to work ok for the government!

5. Thongy1

Thongy1 New commenter

Good advice! Thanks peeps!