1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can a NQT give notice in May and still pass?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Natz90, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Natz90

Natz90 New commenter

Hi all

I'm an nqt working near London. Im enjoying the job but am very homesick. The town I live in is quiet and I've made no friends since moving here. Im always busy working which is fine but just very lonely. My colleagues are nice but a lot older with families. The only thing getting be by is the children in my class. I've decided I will finish my NQT year and move closer to home for start of new school year. Im just worried that when I inform the school in april/may that this might prevent them passing me in my 3rd term. Is this likely?

2. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

It really shouldn’t matter. They can’t just fail your third term without raising concerns about your performance early on. So, if you pass your first two terms with no issue, they should pass your third too. To fail you simply for resigning would be very vindictive. I have known schools pass NQTs on the promise they’d resign at the end of the year, mind...

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Nope!
    Lots of people move at the end of their NQT year, a great many move part way through as well.

Don't inform your school in April/May though... or you might get in to trouble.
    You need your head to be a referee, and very possibly your mentor as well, so start talking to them about the possibility of going as soon as you start applying for posts.

Moving back home due to loneliness is a perfectly good reason to go and won't cause you a problem.