1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can a LEA school charge costs to a required teacher for a residential?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by edpd1b, Feb 2, 2016.

1. edpd1b

edpd1b New commenter

As the title but:

School residential, at the weekend. I'm on a small part time contract. Can the school charge me the costs for me to go on the trip?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

What!

You are not employed to be on school duties at the weekend.

Don't go!

;)

Best wishes

GLsghost likes this.
  3. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

What are the terms on which you are going on the trip? Have you been asked to attend as an accompanying member of staff or have you asked to go for your own interest?

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Are the LA saying you personally must pay? Or that they make a charge for teachers who attend which will be billed to your school for them to pay?

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Er, why did you say you'd go?

Easy. Don't.

6. edpd1b

edpd1b New commenter

Thanks very much everyone.

I am required for ratios.

I shall have a discussion with the Head but just wanted to check that my reaction was valid!

Cheers

7. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Not only should you not be paying for your trip but I think that teachers should be paid extra for weekend residentials - that would be the professional way of doing things.

If you have to pay then say you're not going.

FrankWolley, Anonymity and GLsghost like this.
  8. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

If you are 'required' , you should have been politely asked (never told);

you are not obliged to work during your weekend at all;

you sure as hell should not have to pay for yourself, if you do decide to do them a favour and go!

One more question: are any full-time staff who are going being expected to pay? If they are not, it's also postential discrimination under the Part TIme Workers (Prevention of Less Favourable Treatment) Regulations to expect you to pay if they are not!

Anonymity likes this.
  9. grumpydogwoman

YOU are not required. Someone is required for H and S. It isn't you. It wouldn't be me.

But they might have to cancel it. And why not?

Who else looks after people's kids for nothing at the weekend. And then has to PAY for the privilege of so doing! No.

GLsghost likes this.
  10. Anonymity

Anonymity Occasional commenter

The head or deputy could step up to the plate so that it doesn't get cancelled. They could also pay...

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  11. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

You are required to go for ratios?

You're not required to go at all.

grumpydogwoman and GLsghost like this.
  12. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

I'm sorry to go off topic but I have to reply here. Scout leaders. Guide leaders, Judo club coaches. Swimming coaches......I could go on. I appreciate these are all volunteers, but the volunteering costs not just time but money too.

Gemspecs and grumpydogwoman like this.
  13. Brunettegirl

Brunettegirl Occasional commenter

Eeemmmm. No. o_O

14. grumpydogwoman

You are right @Skeoch

I apologise. But that's entirely of their own volition. I hope it is! Nobody can tell you (erroneously) that you HAVE to do it. It's meant to be a pleasure. School trips can be a pleasure, I know.

BUT I am afraid my natural Opposition Defiant Disorder kicks in when someone tries to tell me what to do. And, if they have no right to insinuate I MUST do it, then I rebel.

wanet, Anonymity and Compassman like this.
  15. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I loved going on school residential trips, and organised many. But if I had been told I had to pay - no way.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  16. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

What a bl**dy cheek! The school wants you to give up your weekend to supervise students and expects you to pay for the 'privilege', rather than it paying you. That's outrageous!

wanet, grumpydogwoman and Compassman like this.
  17. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

The responsibility of a school trip, let alone giving up a weekend, means that you would be exhausted at the end of it.

Rather than expecting you to pay, I think you should be expecting to be paid extra!

Don't go.

wanet likes this.