1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can a headteacher change your role within school?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by workinghardasalways, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Just wondering ... I know that a headteacher can direct the staff to teach in any year group, but I was just wondering whether your headteacher can change your roles and responsibilities without your agreement. I am thinking TLR responsibilities here.

And ... can the headteacher take you out of class and ask you to cover PPA instead?

2. In answer to both of your questions - yes. A TLR responsibility cannot be routinely taken away, but the area of responsibility can change

3. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

As said by above, yes is the answer. Basically, the HT can direct you to do anything they wish. A teacher at our school found that out last year after she invovled unions when HT asked her to have a fullt-ime class again after she had been non-class based SENCO for 3 years. Union wouldn't support her claim thatt she shouldn't /couldn't be asked to go back into a class and do SENCO role with dedicated weekly time, as they said she was paid as a teacher, so she had to teach!