1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can a Head Teacher who is off on long term sick keep sending my wife lists of work to do?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Neglected1, Jul 18, 2015.

1. The HT is off work and has been "replaced" by a head seconded from another school for a number of days a week.

My wife is DH and keeps getting emails at all hours wanting to know what is going on and demanding answers at short notice. This week alone email early Sunday morning, Thursday Friday morning - these are the ones I know about as I hear her phone ping.

School advisor and stand -in head copied in each time. I think that she is trying to get my wife to crack and leave.

How can I advise my wife?

Surely it's illegal to be off work but keep sending work for other staff?

I would appreciate any answers.

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Just because she sends an e-mail doesn't mean it needs to be answered immediately.

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Surely the head and adviser should be able to direct her.she is being foolish to reply if they advise other wise.the head is odd sick but trying still to control his school.Yo need to call HR and get them to sort it.

4. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

After some recent coaching I had where I discussed my feelings that I have to respond to emails immediately, I was advised to set up an auto reply stating: my office hours are Monday - Friday 8am - 6pm.

This gives a very clear but polite message that you will not respond outside of those hours and stops the feeling of guilt. It could be a solution?

5. mooncheek

mooncheek New commenter

Could your wife email the School advisor and stand -in head...she could forward the emails to them and ask their advice, saying that she realises who is really in charge now, so what (if any ) action should she take if she receives any future emails from former HT? Could also copy this to former HT.

6. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Your post suggests that the HT currently on leave is demanding answers relating to things about her school- yes, that may be the norm to be kept in the loop, but not every five minutes. A weekly or fortnightly report from either the Acting HT or the DHT is sufficient. Get your wife to talk to the acting Head and the Head on leave to come up with a plan. A DHT is a stressful job as it is without having to respond to unnecessary emails all the time.

7. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

In relation to setting work, that's a no-no. That's the job of the Acting Head, DHT or AHT to do.. When they come back, then they can start doing it again but for the interim period they are signed off work resulting that they are not obliged to carry out their duties.