1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can a head stop you leaving a school by delaying your ref?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by moreorless, Mar 31, 2012.

1. I am thinking of applying for post in other schools.... I am hearing horror stories of heads blocking people leaving their schools by 'burying referances, holding back on returning phone calls and simply telling staff off-record that they will not be allowed to leave untill the next GCSE year group has completed their coursework/exam. Is this allowed?
    Do I need a ref from my head to go on suppy?

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Who's told you these stories? Anyway, you ask 'Can the head?' Of course s/he can, but should they? Of course not.
    The 'blocking' of someone leaving by holding back a reference: all I would do, as the head requesting the reference, is badger your head until s/he supplied one. I have to say I've never had to do this, however.
    But what makes you think your head is likely to do this?
    Yes, you need a reference from the head to take up any other post in teaching, even supply.
    Have you broached the subject of leaving yet? You need to do this as soon as you decide definitely to apply for other posts or that you definitely intend to resign to go on supply, because the thing that is likely to annoy the head is not telling him/her of your intentions.

3. Why would your Head do this though? Why would they want to 'trap' you and not let you leave?! Schools have a reasonably high turnover of staff and it is completely accepted that people move on and up for various reasons. Maybe your Head will be excited at the possibility of replacing you with someone cheaper/better! There's lots of great teachers out there job seeking - I don't think your Head will be that concerned.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Absolutely. Many teachers are afraid of telling the head they're looking for another job because they think the head will be angry - forgetting, of course, that staff coming and going is just part of what happens in schools.