1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can a Head stop other senior managers giving me a reference?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Yodster, Jan 25, 2012.

1. I am currently looking for work and have had a lovely letter from my old deputy head which was full of praise and great stuff for a reference but he has also written that he has been told by the head that he is not allowed to give me a reference - its obviously a bit more complicated than this but, in principal, is this allowed to happen?

2. I am currently looking for work and have had a lovely letter from my old deputy head which was full of praise and great stuff for a reference but he has also written that he has been told by the head that he is not allowed to give me a reference - its obviously a bit more complicated than this but, in principal, is this allowed to happen?

3. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

It's not that he's not allowed. Anyone can give you a reference but it is usual for it to be your current head unless there are good reasons to choose someone else.

4. I had hoped to put both down, but he is only allowing it to be him - so any requests the deputy gets, he has to pass to the head.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Trial.
    (the server is playing up - I wrote a long reply here which has got lost, so doing a trial before I repeat it)
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Right, let's hope that this time the post actually stays posted - it disappeared after 5 minutes before! Blasted server problem.
    There are 2 points here.
    Firstly, the statutory guidance to schools says that your referee must be current or most recent employer in a job involving working with children. But they don't actually want the Head of children's services and education at County Hall, they mean your Head.
    The second point is that ACSL, the union for Heads, says that Heads control school communication. This means that no-one can write anything on behalf of the school without the Head being responsible for it. So Heads may - and often do - insist that all references written by anyone are approved by them first, just to make sure.
    This makes sense in case some loose cannon decides to offer to write a glowing reference on behalf of someone who got sacked, for example.
    (No, no, I don't think this is your situation!)
    It looks as though the Head here is taking this one step further. If the Deputy cannot persuade him to allow a second reference to be written, the only other solution is for the Deputy to write a reference as a private individual.
    This would mean that you gave his home address, not school, and he could in his reference not actually mention the school and the fact that he was Deputy, merely say that he was a former colleague and line manager of yours in a previous post.
    But that would look very fishy, to be honest, so I don't think it's worth doing.
    Best bet would be if the Deputy asked again, offering straight off to submit it for approval before sending it off.
    Best wishes - and fingers crossed that this works this time and stays put.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

7. Thanks Theo.

Eeee By Gum, int it a strange ol' profession we work in!