1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can a head of faculty ask this?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by brookes, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Would it be acceptable to ask members of a faculty to record their assessment results in a centrally held spreadsheet? Isd this excessive (in terms of workload) or intrusive (in terms of interfering in what teachers may feel are their private records)?

2. Would it be acceptable to ask members of a faculty to record their assessment results in a centrally held spreadsheet? Isd this excessive (in terms of workload) or intrusive (in terms of interfering in what teachers may feel are their private records)?

3. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Not sure that pupils's grades can be considered as theteacher private business. Therefore,perfectly acceptable for Head of Faculty to ask.

4. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

definitely acceptable........I would hope the norm!!

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

You might argue that inputting the data is an admin job, providing it would certainly fall within a teacher's duties.

6. Thank you for your replies everyone. Carrie, the problem with that is it requires a level of informed judgement to go from a sheet of student's work to traffic-lighting a statement. I guess the teacher could mark with a colour or letter, but by that point you may have well entered it in the spreadsheet instead.

7. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

I suppose another factor would be the frequency/volume - there's a big difference between "once a month per class" and "after every lesson with every class"

8. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

As has been suggested, strictly speaking a teacher could refuse on the premise that data entry is not a task requiring professional input. But the data itself is the property of the school, and so a teacher can be asked to hand it over for entry.

9. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I wasn't expecting the admin staff to mark the work! However, having marked it, you COULD then pass the marks to admin staff to enter onto the spreadsheet but, as you say, this is hardly more effort than marking it in the first place!

10. We're both picturing the same thing Carrie, the teacher marks the work, but then has to decide whether this demonstrates an understanding or not, so the data being entered is not a score out of 20 for example. (The volume being suggested is 2 to 3 times per half term, per class in KS3).