1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can a general class TA be asked to work as an LSA the following day???

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by anaTL, Oct 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. anaTL

anaTL New commenter

Hi, Just struggling with my headmaster's decision to stop working as a general TA and start being a 1:1 LSA for a child on an Autistic Spectrum the following day. I have concerns regarding the safaguarding as I haven't been trained to work with an autistic child. I've been a general class TA for years now, running numerous Intervention groups. How do I approach it? Where do I stand legally on it? Can I refuse to do it? The decision was made from one day to another, giving me no time to prepare/read anything/ train in the field.

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

What are your safeguarding concerns?

3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Do you mean 'safeguarding' or do you mean 'safety'? Is this child violent or aggressive, and you are worried about being alone with him?

4. Saland45

Saland45 New commenter

Hi

Happened to me once but then I was happy to do it, in fact no one else would do it to be fair!!!! ...i have also had an occasion when I was swapped for someone who had no experience whereas I had quite a lot..they didn't want to do the role but I did so ..if you are not sure then say so because it can be really challenging depending on the child....safeguarding as in have you had safe guarding training ..I would assume you have had your training anyway .. so and in terms of your own safety depending on the child...yes you can get kicked, bitten, punched etc but you can also have these experiences with another child who isn't necessarily autistic....I personally loved working with autistic children and learnt a lot from the experience but I won't lie and say it doesn't come with the challenges I have mentioned.....if you really, really don't want to do it then have that discussion ASAP....it is a different role ...and you have to enjoy what you do...don't you? Xxx

5. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Hi ana

Although everyone does have a designated role at our school, TAs do frequently change roles, sometimes moving from class TA to 1-1 at the start of a new year or during a staff 'shake-up' at any time. If a 1-1 TA is absent, any TA can be asked to cover the child. Although everyone is willing to step in for a day or two, we have had TAs who have been asked to make the change long term and have felt it was really not for them. If you feel like that, I think you should talk to your head teacher. Hopefully he will understand as I am not sure where you would stand legally - most TA job descriptions will say that you support learning with groups and individuals.

You could give it a try for a couple of weeks .... there's always a chance you might enjoy it!

Gsr25 likes this.
  6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Adversity to opportunity ? Experience will add to your skill set.

7. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

In the TA job description it does say something about being willing to carry out any job deemed appropriate by the line manager or head. They wouldn't have asked you if they didn't feel you were capable, embrace it as continuing your professional development.

minnie me likes this.