1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can a chicken do this?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Doitforfree, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I have four chickens. One is a four year year old speckled bantam, who has always been a poor layer and is regularly broody. She hasn't laid at all for about a year. I recently got two gorgeous new girls, aged about fourteen weeks, one a Cream Legbar who should lay blue eggs. We got a nice brown egg after a few weeks, and then a brown egg and a tiny pale brown egg. First eggs are often small. I was mighty disappointed that my hen was not after all laying blue eggs.

But... while we're getting a fairly steady supply of the brown eggs, the tiny pale eggs have not got bigger and there have only been a few of them, and they are exactly like the eggs my bantam used to lay. Is it possible that my Legbar hasn't actually started to lay yet (the two new girls are not exactly the same age, and different breeds) and that my bantam has come into lay again after a year? Is that even a thing? And if so, what might have jump-started her?!

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

***animal welfare gasp***
    You're actually admitting on here that you are raising battery chickens?

3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

What's the difference between 4 hens in someone's garden and 4 battery hens?

4. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

They probably wouldn’t be slaughtered for getting too old or not meeting an egg quota.

5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The garden hens won't keep going on and on on Duracell.

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Ahem.
    Serious answer.
    My money's on the Bantam.
    But to be sure, why not just isolate the Legbar from the others and see which side of the divide the brown eggs lie?
    But my money is still on the Bantam.
    If the Legbar is the only newcomer within the last year, it may have caused the Bantam to react to it's presence somehow by, .. dunno...laying eggs.

7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

The introduction of new birds could have had the effect of changing the "pecking order" as hens are very competitive, and the hormone levels in chickentopia will have increased and will affect all the birds, so it may well be the bantam.

8. Doitforfree

I hadn't thought about pecking order. My bantam had an ongoing foot problem for a lot of last year and became a bit pathetic and was bottom of the flock. She's fit and healthy now and is top hen, where she used to be. It hasn't occurred to me that that might have a bearing on her egg laying as well.

Aquarmarina, was that a serious question? My hens live in a large run which is moved regularly so the hens always have fresh grass. Just the run exceeds the free range size requirements and they have the run of our huge garden when someone's out there. They have a nice big clean comfortable house for sleeping and laying. They didn't a lot of yesterday afternoon eating earwigs from a stump where my husband had cut down a large shrub. Hen heaven! My oldest hen is eight and hasn't laid for years but is living out a happy and well earned retirement. Backyard hens are a world away from battery ones.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

We have chickens and bought 2 legbars a few years ago.
    One produced a steady stream of medium sized blue eggs until she passed away.
    The other produced small white eggs then stopped a year or so ago.
    Recently we got a cockerel and since he's been in charge she has laid the occaional small white egg, but far from regular.
    Legbar eggs are distinct blue or sometimes,as in our case, white.
    I suspect your bantam has come back into lay.

10. Doitforfree

Fingers crossed, because that would be a double bonus, if Jo-hen has started to lay again and Rosemalay may yet lay blue eggs! She is the most stunning hen. An absolute cracker.

11. Doitforfree

Got our first blue egg today! Hooray. Rosemalay was so pleased with herself that she shouted at the top of her voice for a good half hour, at six-thirty this morning! I might have known she'd be a noisy hen. She's a right prima donna, and an escape artist.

12. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Yep, I'd the say ms bantam is back in lay. Lots of reasons for this, diet, water, change in pecking order, moulting, ill health. Some hens have a last production just before they stop laying altogether.
    It's good your legbar is laying now. I've only ever kept rescue hens so don't know much about those.