1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can a Chair of Governors Veto the Choice of School Improvement Adviser

Discussion in 'Governors' started by KentishMaid2, Jul 19, 2019.

1. KentishMaid2

KentishMaid2 New commenter

LAst week a very experienced governor resigned and a second today following a meeting last week where the School improvement adviser was very defensive and rude to these governors when they asked legitimate questions around the SATS results.

This is not the first time that this adviser has been very rude but it was the worst and went on for about 5 mins. I wish to ensure that we get a different adviser next year . He is a friend of the headteacher and is appointed by the LA. As I ma the CHair of Governors is there a formal mechanism I can follow to get a different adviser for the next year. I knowthat the head teacher will not support this proposal but I cannot have this man in post.

2. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Is the school under the control of the LA? If so, I would have thought they get to choose your School Improvement advisor.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

If you are an LA maintained school the LA has statutory responsibilities to ensure high standards of education in its schools [Education and Inspections Act 2006 s1] so has a general power to appoint a SIA to monitor standards. Of course in practice nowadays an SIA does a lot more than monitor standards on behalf of the LA and is seen as primarily there to support the head and GB in raising standards. As the SIA is supposed to be there mainly for the school's benefit, and as LAs don't have much money, the cost of the SIA is normally charged to the school under an SLA/contract of some sort.

I can see two possibilities for you:

(1) Complain to the Director of Children's Services in your LA about the attitude and behaviour of the SIA and ask for a different SIA (if the LA has any others.....). You will need specific examples to illustrate what you mean. But be aware that the first thing the LA will do is ask the head for their perspective on it so you really need to have the head on your side. You don't actually need the head's permission to make a complaint, but your complaint won't be helped if the head flatly denies the SIA was rude.

(2) If you are paying the LA for the SIA via an SLA/contract the LA cannot force you to continue buying the SIA from them. They can't take the SLA cost from your budget without GB approval. So for next financial year the GB could decide not to renew the SLA and buy in school improvement advice from elsewhere. There are many other sources available. But again the head's position is critical. No improvement adviser can operate effectively unless the head is willing to work with them.

The difficulty for you is that you believe the head will not support any change. I think you need to start with an honest and frank discussion between you as Chair and the Head about why the GB finds the advisor's conduct unacceptable.

KentishMaid2, becky70 and Stiltskin like this.
  4. KentishMaid2

KentishMaid2 New commenter

Thank you Rottweiler,an impeccable answer as always. all 3 of us have had a full apology from all the involved citing personal reasons for his outburst. Still have to find new governors though.

Rott Weiler likes this.