1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CAMRA. The real ale battle has been won. And did you ever care?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grumpydogwoman, Mar 31, 2016.

1. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

2. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Having done the job, CAMRA should disband. But all organisations take on a self-sustaining life of their own whose ultimate purpose is simply to survive.

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

CAMRA don't know their bum from their elbow. They haven't won anything - many of the brands and beers which have pushed the success of beer lately wouldn't count as "real ale" by CAMRA standards.

lanokia likes this.
  4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Yes I cared. When I first became old enough to buy beer, pubs were serving mediocre slop with no character. It was extremely rare to find one serving real ale, however there was one near where I worked in London that did and was a magnet for CAMRA members. I came across it by accident when I was walking past and heard some folk music being played. You could easily miss this place, because it was below pavement level and just had a dingy doorway that hadn't been painted for a hundred years. We went in to see what was going on and found they served beer from barrels on the counter, and the beer tasted nothing like the over-chilled fizzy bile I'd experienced before.

CAMRA's success in transforming pub beer has been remarkable, since the only power they had was to ask the public to support pubs that offered decent beer and keep track of where they could be found. It encouraged people to appreciate they could walk away from pubs that just saw the public as a cash cow they didn't have to offer anything special to in order to get their custom.

These days I can go into most pubs and be assured of a decent pint, occasionally something very special. I'm not sure CAMRA's work will be over until they've managed to change the beer that hotels serve, which in the case of all hotel chains is pretty dire and unrepresentative of what people would order in a pub unless it was one of those horrible ones with SKY football playing all the time.

5. grumpydogwoman

Right. Thanks @Duke of York

I'm not a member* of CAMRA but I can tweet them to the effect that hotel beers need a spotlight shone upon them.

*wrong gender, don't have a cap or a guitar, don't have grey hair or a beard

6. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

None of which, of course, matter a damn

7. grumpydogwoman

It's MY stereotype and I'm sticking to it! ;)

I tweeted them and told them about hotel beers. Expect immediate action!!!

8. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Our local branch is full of youngsters nowadays
    Good to see I reckon

9. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Hey! Don't say I have a cap! Caps suck! Caps are for Corbyns and baldies.

10. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

If CAMRA goes, can Red Barrel and Double Diamond be far from the bar?

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  11. mandylifeboats

mandylifeboats Occasional commenter

What you want is Watney's! Or a nice (?) pint of Allbright.

12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I’m a dirty great big Five Nations fan
    I’ve got Cheap Trick Live at the Budokan
    I’ve got a friend I can trust
    I’ve got a shotgun round the back
    I’ve got a Bonneville in bits but I’m gonna sort it out
    Because I am a CAMRA MAN!
    [​IMG]
    And you can really taste the hops!

What's wrong with a nice cold, lively lager?

13. grumpydogwoman

2015 Supreme Champion
    Gold – Tiny Rebel, Cwtch

Silver – Kelburn, Jaguar

Bronze – Dancing Duck, Dark Drake

Never heard of 'em.

8.Froth Blowers Hornswoggle 5%
    Erdington, West Midlands
    Hoppy golden ale with a fruity nose and bitter finish.

This sounds nice. Not too strong. But why are they so much stronger these days? It's surely not a good idea.

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'm glad they 'won' ... as I like beer with flavour and not fizzy alco-pop lager for teenagers.

15. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

But CAMRA don't care about flavour. They are only interested in process. They will support a rubbish tasting beer made by the "right" process over a tasty one made the "wrong" way. It's why their sponsored festivals are full of foul, baked-bean smelling concoctions.

16. grumpydogwoman

That's true, Flere.

One man's experience in a pub.

She (barmaid) pointed hopefully at a "handmade ale", an "organic pale ale" and a "Kentish craft ale".

“Erm, OK,” I replied, instinctively ill-disposed to making a fuss about these things. “I’ll try the pale ale.”

I felt on reasonably safe ground here – I had enjoyed pints of Greene King and Directors’ IPA (India Pale Ale) on many occasions before, and enjoyed them. So imagine my dismay when this one tasted of sour fruit with notes of distilled badger sweat. Really not very pleasant.

Had I not been meeting a friend for the traditional communal evening activity of watching the footy on Sky Sports, I might have turned on my heel and taken my custom elsewhere. Instead I stayed and decided to try one of the other ales.

This time, the "handmade ale" offered a slightly different taste sensation: I was getting sour fruit with notes of stoat urine and a hint of stale crisps. Whose foul, contaminated "hand" could possibly have created such an abomination?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thin...only-man-in-Britain-who-hates-craft-beer.html

17. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Goodness, I don't think I've ever been aware of any "notes" in my beer. I tend to just drink the stuff in the hope of getting vaguely bladdered.

18. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Cute, I'm very confused. At times, I get the impression that you're a prim-and-proper, schoolmarm type of person, God-fearing and a stickler for grammar and now I see you as a beer-swilling bloke.
    Or are you a beer-swilling ex-schoolmarm?:confused:

19. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I hope no children will be reading this, or a prospective job interviewer :D

cuteinpuce likes this.
  20. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Hats off to CAMRA for putting on the beer festivals of my youth.

Duke of York likes this.