1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Camping in France

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gergil4, Jul 24, 2011.

1. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Usually - before children - we just turn up and find a campsite. However, with 2 children in tow this time, I'm not sure if I want to chance it.
    Of those who have camped in mid/southwest France with children, who else has found campsite space easy to come by, or can anyone recommend a site? Our basic requiremnts are: clean facilities, somewhere to swim, and preferably a small site. definitely NOT an all singing, all dancing site.
    Thank you.

2. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

Try this site - more authentically French. I went with them last year in the Loire valley. You can take your own tent or hire a mobile home.
    http://www.yellohvillage.co.uk/
    MM

3. We used to go on Keycamp holidays all the time when I was a young child but I can't remember the name of the sites-I just know that most of them were based around Brittany. I will ask my mum when she wakes up and get back to you.

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I like the look of that camp site.I wish i had seen it earlier.We have now booked in a small cottage in Normandy.
    What i hadn't thought about was the expense to get the car there and the bits we had to buy for the car to comply with french law lol.and the fact they wanted extra to extend my cover on the insurance and breakdown cover.

5. We camped many years along the Vendee coast just to the north of La Rochelle. Nice campsite in the pine trees a few yards from the beach. This link shows a few sites in the area.
    http://www.ot-latranchesurmer.fr/gb/0_camping_4.htm
    I hear that Isle de Re and Isle d'Oleron are very nice too.
    Or, if don't want to drive that far south, maybe Brittany would be a good location?

6. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

This is absloutely not what you are after, but I feel compelled to suggest it for future reference:
    http://www.parcodellepiscine.it/it/site/Chi+Siamo/81
    We have had several holidays here and love it. The pools are fed by thermal spring water at a constant 74 degrees - hence no chlorine. You are situated in the hills on the Tuscany / Umbria border, and are on the edge of a medieval hilltop town which you can just stroll into and eat at lovely, untouristy restuaurants. It is a fabulous place which I cannot recommend highly enough!

7. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Thank you all so far. Smoothnewt, it looks lovely, but I have very little Italian and my husband would hate it. The swimming and location sound lovely!

8. smoothnewt

I know it is not France, but what is there that he could possibly hate?

9. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

The amount of people!! We're looking at a 30ish pitch size campsite at the most!!

10. smoothnewt

OK, I see where you are coming from. I would say though, (and I have extensive experience of large and crowded campsites in France [​IMG]) that the campsite has a calm feel to it even in August. This is because it is so spacious. We used always to go at May half term but bit the bullet one year and drove down in August. We were pleasantly surprised. And the little town is very quiet of an evening if you want to eat out. Each to their own though, I guess.

11. I have spoken to my mum and the ones we went to that she can remember were Zagarella, Frejus and Queberon. My parents always picked the ones with waterchutes and they were all good quality with children's entertainment clubs very day. They are all quite large though so possibly not suitable for you.

12. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

We went to a place near St Jaques Sur Mer on the Cote D'Emeraud last year - lovely! Beautiful part of the world! The campsite wasn't huge, but it had a nice water park which the kids adored, and a nice play area well away from the tents, where they made lots of little friends, and a restaurant for when we were too pooped for cooking! The only down side was that the toilet block was not what I would call CLEAN (!!! gah!! Hosing it down with a high pressure hose only!), and the grounds, although pretty, weren't looked after in the same way we have come to expect in UK sites. Was fun, though, especially the water park.[​IMG]

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Municipal campsites in France are usually cheap, clean and unfussy, and don't have all the entertainment trimmings that used to drive me mad, but they're not always in prime coastal spots.

PS If you try the Ile d'Oleron as suggested above, the best beaches are on the SW side, and bikes will come in very handy.