1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

campaign? - a bit worried

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by coolasacucumber, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Not sure how you want us to comment.
    It sounds unpleasant, and it is obviously hurtful and makes you feel underconfident. It's difficult to address this properly without the obvious possibility of making things worse.
    What are your thoughts on how to improve things?

2. Hi Cool-as-cucumber - agreed - it is a hard one.
    I am unsure what to do, so I have put myself in the hands of senior teachers and have asked their advice. I will cooperate fully and constructively with what is offered.
    My gut instinct is that ruthlessness is required. Accepting an abusive nickname from students is not really an option, amd if they get away with it with me, they will then try it with others.
    Just feel free to speak your mind as to what you feel a good course of action is, and if you're not sure, feel free to say that too!
    Cheers,
    BD.

3. Well when something similar happened at our school, the teacher was able to identify a couple of the students (y9) - they got a huge telling off from me in front of the member of staff, an internal exclusion, their parents were contacted, a letter went home warning if anything happened again there would be even more severe penalties. And it stopped.
    But that was a group of maybe 7 or 8 kids, and getting 2 of them (we never knew for certain who the others were, although we had an idea) was the key.
    It depends how many of them are doing it, I guess. It should be ruthless, of course it should - it's appalling. But unless you can identify at least one of them, then it will become an ongoing game and will get worse.

4. re

re New commenter

I had a similar problem. Dealt with it by utter ruthlessness. Tiold each pastoral head awhat I was going to do, then any pupils in agroup that I could identify I would put into an after school detention. If they complained I would wask them to name the actual culprits. If they did, then fine. If not, after school detention. Parents phoned up saying it wasn't fair. I told them it wasn't fair on me for their son 9usually a boy) to be in a group picking on me.. Parents unhappy but saw the point and shouting stopped very quickly.

5. re

re New commenter

Total ruthlessmness. If you can identify any of the crowd, deal with them severely e.g. after school detentions. If they complained they could get out of it by telling me who awas doing the shouting. Parents often phoned up syaing it was unfair on their little darling - reply was that it was unfair of their little daring to be part of a gang picking on me. Stopped very quickly.

6. Hi folks - thanks for all the replies.
    Four line-management staff members now know the context, and all have largely agreed with the situation's need for ruthlessness.
    A quiet day on that front today. Last week I caught three people, and they have all received after-school detentions (which they didn't argue about).
    I will continue being vigilant tomorrow ...

7. johnberyl

johnberyl Occasional commenter

This needs a ruthless response EVERY single time it happens - with no let up. You'll need the unequivocal backing of your leadership team. Escalate it straight to them - you may be too close to this issue to handle it yourself. Differentiate on the basis of those who are the followers and those who are trying to get their peers to take part. The latter should have a more severe punishment including involvement of parents. It's a form of bullying and I really think there isn't an alternative. Good luck to you.

8. That is pretty much what I am doing - I have involved more senior members of staff, and I have voiced my suspicion that there are ringleaders. Investigations are under way ...

9. ' You'll need the unequivocal backing of your leadership team.'
    As with any other problem with behavioural issues, this is crucial. You seem to have such back-up.

10. Yes - I think I do. I've been very straight with everyone, and made the context of the detentions clear.