1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Camera repairs..is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tina86, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Technical help required! I turned my digital camera on this morning and found it is showing a black and white 'image' (nothing that was taken by me though it does look rather artistic!). The buttons on the camera seem to work but obviously can't see any image or do anything.
    I bought the camera 6 months ago so its still under Samsung warranty. Has anyone had any experience of getting them to do repairs and whether they will fix it, or could this be a big hassle getting it posted off and I might as well buy a new camera?
    Thanks

2. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

If it's still under warranty then I would be trying to get it fixed as a decent camera isn't cheap.

3. laffal0t

laffal0t New commenter

Where did you buy it? Could you take it back?

4. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

Check your handbook - this happened to me with my Sony a couple of years back. The wheel thingy on the top had moved round to a setting I never used before. My darling techie neice fixed it for me.

5. You may not have to pay for postage but if you do it won't come anywhere near the cost of a new camera!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

My Olympus camera broke because of my 5 year old who thinks he is David Bailey with a camera. Still under warranty - was back in a week and all free.

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Take the battery out and leave it for a bit, then re-insert and see if anything changes. If you can still view the menus check you haven't altered anything by accident. Make sure (as suggested above) that you haven't moved a settings control round or pressed a button without realising. Take the memory card out and re-insert it. Is the LCD screen physically damaged? If it's still not working and you haven't dropped it or got it wet then it sounds like it needs repairing. If you have got it wet, open all the lids you can and leave it in an airing cupboard overnight. If it's still under warranty why hesitate? Returning them to online sellers can be a bit of a faff, returning them to a shop is generally easier, as the assistant may have seen the same fault before.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

..another suggestion. Type a brief description of the fault and the camera make/model into Google and see if anyone else has had the same problem and has a solution. I've lost count of the number of technical problems I've fixed that way.

9. My Samsung camera broke too. I had bought it off Amazon but didn't have the receipt. Phoned them up and they sent me a box for the camera to send to Samsung. It came back all fixed about a week later, at no cost to me whatsoever. Result!

10. Thanks for all the replies, some good suggestions.
    Before posting on here I did check google and found one person with the same problem, sadly there was no answer. I have taken out the batteries and memory card and letting it rest. I got it from Currys and looking on the website looks like I need to contact Samsung directly.
    My fear is that they won't repair it as i'm not too sure how it ended up like this. I'm pretty certain I didn't drop it, but it was in my bag with no case and it was a wet night last night so thinking that may have affected it when waiting for a taxi.
    Will give Samsung a ring tomorrow
    Thanks