1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Camcorders for DVD

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by dramajo, May 14, 2011.

1. dramajo

dramajo New commenter

Can anyone recommend a user-friendly camcorder that records straight onto the right size DVD for Edexcel exams and holds at least 60 minutes of footage?
    I am fed up of transferring footage from mini disc to DVD.
    Any suggestions welcome.

2. Alf58

Alf58 Established commenter

I am no expert but I suspect there is no camcorder on the market that records straight to the right size DVD. This year I have used a hard drive camcorder which means all footage is recorded onto the camera's memory without the hassle of tape and discs. It can then be uploaded to a PC and then DVDs burnt from there. For years I transferred video from a mini tape to a full size VHS. As it had to be done in real time, it took all day if there was say eight hours of exam footage.

I gather that this year good ol' Edexcel have deigned to allow 10 days before receipt of exam footage instead of 7 days as was the rule previously. I seriously doubt if Edexcel have any idea of the stress their unreasonable demands regarding jobsworth paper work etc is placing on teachers.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Go for a 'theflip' - You can record and they have a USB so you can transfer straight to PC and burn to DVD easily. No wires or cables or fannying about :)

4. I purchased i Panasonic Lumix G2 in HD. The quality is astonising but a slight pain to get onto DVD the first time. It records in AVCHD format, which needs to be converted into WMV. Is now just an easy process... but your IT techs might do it for you.

It's an expensive camera - but the result is amazing. God for Exams, shows and it's 14MP camera so i now have some amazing departmental photos.