1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cambridge Pre U - very worried

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by ictLad, Feb 7, 2011.

1. ictLad

ictLad New commenter

My school seems hell bent on going down the route of Cambridge Pre U. Looking at the Pre U list of subjects there is a great deal there, but worryingly no Computing? I can 'kind of' understand why ICT isnt there, but when there are all manner of subjects from the traditional (Sciences, Maths, English), to the more recent (Business, Economics, Art & Design) Im a bit flumoxed/worried that Computing/ICT isnt there.
    Anyone got any insight on this? Is it to be added for the future or is my subject in the 6th form doomed :-(

2. ictLad

ictLad New commenter

My school seems hell bent on going down the route of Cambridge Pre U. Looking at the Pre U list of subjects there is a great deal there, but worryingly no Computing? I can 'kind of' understand why ICT isnt there, but when there are all manner of subjects from the traditional (Sciences, Maths, English), to the more recent (Business, Economics, Art & Design) Im a bit flumoxed/worried that Computing/ICT isnt there.
    Anyone got any insight on this? Is it to be added for the future or is my subject in the 6th form doomed :-(

3. Given the very small number of schools offering A-level Computing and the tiny number of schools offering the Pre-U, I doubt Computing would be economically viable. Computer Science is part of the IB which has great status; maybe you could push for that instead. The pre-U courses are limited so it's not uncommon for schools offering it to still offer A-levels in non-Pre U subjects. Best of luck.

4. ictLad

ictLad New commenter

I know Computer Science is part of the IB, but unfortunately the schools management decided not to go down that route. When you say that the Pre U courses are limited do you mean limited in the sense that there are not many subjects available or that the syllabi are limitted. Because if you are talking about subject choices, from what I can tell most of the subjects are covered - even the ones which are a bit more niche seems to be covered. The most common A Levels which I dont see covered are Electronics, Drama and Computing.

5. I meant there are about 26 pre-U subjects but 150+ AS/A2 subjects so its not unusual for schools offering the pre-u to continue to offer A-levels in some subjects.

6. ictLad

ictLad New commenter

Ok I see what you meant now, but also looking at the information from the JCQ while Computing is a less popular choice, if we take into consideration ICT as well, the two subjects near 2%. Now its not going to be as popular as maths etc etc, that I accept, but when I see other subjects which are equally as popular (or unpopular if you prefer) which are on the Cambridge Pre U subject list, I'm a bit confused as to why Computing/ICT has been ignored?