1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cambridge Nationals v ICT GCSE

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Mrs-Fordy, Mar 4, 2012.

1. I have been trying to decide between Cambridge Nationals and ICT GCSE (OCR) for the last couple of months.
    On Friday in a meeting with the head the decision was made, ICT GCSE (at that point the CN still hadn't been accredited and to be honest wasn't sure whether they would be) got back to my desk and 'ping' email from OCR.
    Have the weekend to decide.
    Have always taught a 'vocational' course and wanted to take the 'leap' to ICT GCSE, the only issue I have with the GCSE option is that its linear, this makes me feel very uneasy, having only taught mostly coursework based courses for the past 7 years.
    Advice opinions please.

2. At the end of it all, you're choosing the course that's right for your pupils and that you can deliver as a teacher. It sounds like you've weighed up the options already, and hopefully looked at the different specifications of ICT GCSE to decide which suits best. Obviously it'll require a lot of new lesson planning etc going from vocational to traditional GCSE, but if you're up for the challenge, go for it!

3. If it helps, we are dropping the gcse ict in favour of comouting gcse in September. We are a mixed ability academy. The new gcse ict is really bad. Boring to teach, boring to learn, controlled assessments that take a lot longer than the exam board say, a crazy amount of my time to mark and a nightmare to administer under controlled conditions. I don't like the Nationals but trust me - it doesn't get any worse than the aqa gcse ict course.

4. Yes we have looked at the different GCSE specs and felt the OCR GCSE was best for us. Was very happy with that until the realisation that both exams had to be taken in the (for Sept 2012 cohort) June. Which made me feel a bit uneasy. We are a core subject, with a range of abilities. Didn't know if the Cambridge Nationals would be more flexible for a varied cohort.
    Orignially we were looking to deliver Computing GCSE in September, as an option, but being as none of the 4 full time teachers in our department have a 'computing' background are currently putting it off for a year so we can do some training!

5. Do the BTEC I&CT - it's how the OCR Nationals should have evolved.

6. I think that is now standard for all assessments in all subjects at KS4 - courtesy Mr Gove and ofqual