1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cambridge Nationals Unit 2

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by mymoose, Apr 30, 2012.

1. You really trust the answers you are likely to get here? Why not email OCR or phone them up?

2. rubikwizard

rubikwizard New commenter

That is what I intend to do! Just thought other people may already have the answer.

3. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

As far as I am aware the task changes every year so must be assessed in that window as you get two moderation visitis a year. I would agree though email OCR for an answer.

4. rubikwizard

Does anyone else have an idea about this issue?
    One of our staff asked this question directly to OCR at their recent meeting but did not get a clear answer (what a surprise!). We have also emailed OCR and the reply was rather vague. With the time we have available in Y10 we would like to do unit 1 and some of the tasks from unit 2 and then complete unit 2 in Y11 but I think we will have to change our plans with the unclear advice coming from OCR.

5. The task changes for each submission window so there will be two different Unit 2 assignments each year. You are not able to submit an assignment under a different submission window, so students would have to redo the unit if they miss the deadline.

6. rubikwizard

Thanks for this.
    Are you sure about two different assignments each year? The latest version of the spec states "The task for unit R002 is set by OCR for each academic year" (page 46). I really wish that OCR would make this clear.

7. That's an interesting one. So it certainly changes between years but perhaps there is only one per year. That would certainly make things easier. As with so many things I guess we'll have to wait and see...

8. rubikwizard

Can I ask where you got your infomation from, because our questions to OCR have always received very vague answers.The previous version of the spec said "a new assignment each series" and the latest vesion says "each academic year". I guess OCR don't know themselves!

9. The Birmingham meeting, though the people leading it seemed to know very little themselves!

10. rubikwizard

Thanks! Sounds a lot like the people at the Manchester meeting!

11. robliverpool

robliverpool New commenter

Hi,

I was at the Manchester meeting (morning) and the woman from OCR who was talking about the database unit (I think she was Welsh) said that eventually they hope to have a bank of assignments for each unit which people can choose from (and pupils in the same class coudl do different ones). She also said they would give 12 months notice of them being withdrawn.
    So from that they would seem to last more than 1 year.

12. rubikwizard

I was referring only to unit 2 which works differently to the other units as the tasks are set by OCR each year.

13. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

I am lead to beleive that the unit 2 is only live for that window of entry as it is a set assignment and has to be delivered in a limited time frame (there are however I believe several cycles in teh year)!