1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cambridge Nationals - Scheme Of Work

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by jamesmhunt, May 20, 2013.

1. jamesmhunt

jamesmhunt New commenter

Hello All,

We are starting the CNat at our school shortly. I wondered if anyone had a pre-made SOW that might be useful to show us possibly how we could fit CNat Unit 1 and 2 into our core ICT slot which occurs for only 1 hour per week.

Any help which anyone can provide would be most helpful.

Thank you.

2. 1 hour a week is not very generous. Are you planning to run these units over 2 years otherwise where will you find the time. It's not like OCR nationals where you can give them templates and lots of support they actually have to produce the work on thier own now.

tairatshote12 likes this.
  3. jamesmhunt

jamesmhunt New commenter

Yeah 2 years at 1 hour a week. This is possible yes?

4. Well my understanding is for a GCSE they will need to complete 4 units of work. Say you've got 38 school weeks with them in year 10 and about 32 weeks in year 11 thats a total of 70 hours over 2 years which is 17 and 1/2 hours per unit.

I wouldn't like to try that, the recommended GLH for each unit is 30 and for the qualification its 120. Your way under.

You will probably have to do the award which is worth a 1/2 GCSE. Unless I'm wrong and the award is worth a full GCSE, I should probably check that sometime soon.

5. robot1

robot1 New commenter

It (one GCSE version) can be done if you start in year 9. This is what I plan:

Year 9 - Unit R004 Databases (going well so far)

Year 10 Sept to March - Unit R002

Year 10 April to June - Teaching for unit R001 (exam)

Year 10 June - Exam

Year 10 July - catching up etc.

Year 11 Sept -March - Any other unit (R005 looks okay)

Year 11 March - May - Catching up etc.

Year 11 May onwards - Revsion for any unit R001 resists (who failed in year 10)

Without the head start in year 9, very difficult. As others have said this is not OCR Nats, it's harder to pass and harder to gain good marks. You will not have a 100% pass rate (a good thing). Also due to the limited time even over three years I think the very highest marks (D* and D at level2) will be hard to come by.

6. jamesmhunt

jamesmhunt New commenter

I am only doing the award. Doable? :D It says 60GLH.

7. Doable?

Depends on the type of kids you're teaching really. It'll be tight but if you get all your teaching hours you could just make it.

Problems start when you lose lessons for collapsed curriculum days, sports days, academic tutoring days, work expirence, enrichment days, staff training days, revision interventions etc.

Don't expect amazing results and be prepared to run a number of after school catch up classes.

Good luck

8. rhegarty

I really like your SOW for R001.

Does anyone have SOW/Resources for R004?

9. Hi Does anyone have a SOW for unit R002 that they wouldn'y mind sharing. Would really appreciate the help.

10. robliverpool

robliverpool New commenter

Hi,

I am teaching R002 and my pupils are going to be starting the magazine article soon.I am right in thinking that the pupils have to cram all the text into the 6 by 12cm box?

11. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

They hardly have to cram it in. The human eye with decent vision can happily deal with font size 6. Many terms and conditions are presented in font size 4. Don't forget they will also need to add some further text too so that the stand number can be included in the advert!

12. robot1 - I really like the timeframe you have suggested. Do you have any resources on R004 as we havent started this yet?

13. enderoth

enderoth New commenter

I have the delivery materials for Unit 01, 02, 03 and 05 if you needs them, powerpoints and marking grids etc. Email me at enderoth@hotmail.com if anyone wants them.

14. liamfh

liamfh New commenter

Hi, do you still have this? if so could I have a copy please. Im a one man department and trying to set up three different courses at the moment..

15. Need help with scheme of learning for KS3-ICT and KS4 (IGCSE) ICT. Does anyone have ideas about this?

16. liamfh

liamfh New commenter

I dont suppose I could get a copy of this could I please?

17. tomirowlands1

tomirowlands1 New commenter

Hi All, anyone got a copy of the SOW for Cambridge Nationals ICT R001?

18. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

Not really a lot of need for one go through all the areas that are in the spec for revision until the pre release comes in then focus on the sort of things they may ask!

19. johnsa01

johnsa01 New commenter

Hi All

I have just started to deliver OCR Nationals to year 9 Unit R002. Has anyone got any resources I can use including a SOW