1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cambridge Nationals - replacement for OCR Nationals

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by DEmsley, Jan 11, 2012.

1. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

I have to say I was looking forward to this. However OCR seem to have damned themselves:
    quote from website:
    "These case studies refer to the current Nationals, the reputation of which, the new Cambridge Nationals have been built upon."
    http://www.cambridgenationals.org.uk/about/

Oh dear.

2. wilkinss

wilkinss New commenter

Keith
    I had a long chat with Penny Hill today at BETT today and she showcased me the units of work et al and I am still eager to continue with this qualification along with the support you give us through your forums and courses. Will look forward to seeing you at the courses later in the year!!

3. wilkinss

wilkinss New commenter

We will need to check to see if our current year 9s will be added to the schools performance grades, I have been told to hold fire on registering my year 9s until more Government announcements at the end of this month!

4. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

@Keith - Apologies if my OP upset you; I have great respect for you personally and didn't intend to. I have been an advocate on this forum and many other places for the OCR Nationals and I look forward to more detail, full specification etc.
    However one of the key reasons we're in this position is the way *some* schools (many?) have delivered such courses and the death-by-screenshot brigade. This is a great part of why ICT is considered dull and students are turned off and disinterested in ICT. I think we need to consider if Popular = Easy to get results as far as some SLTs are concerned.
    The number of schools who pushed this lower and lower down the school (us included at first) and turned students off with a turgid variant of Downloadable Tunes was too high; whereas in some cases (anecdotally to be sure) schools seem to have produced work "below C grade" which was accepted as PASS level and this race-for-grades rather than quality has adversely affected the reputation of OCR Nationals.
    The key aspects that I think make this course good (in my view) have been highlighted by yourself above and I welcome the new short-course option. However the key point I was making in the OP was the reputation that Nationals have and I will have to work hard to get the course approved by my SLT given:
    <ol>[*] the regard it is held in [*]its inclusion (or not) in league tables[*]the perception that the Gove(rnment) have of ICT courses atm[*]and, yes, the reputation it has.</ol>