1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cambridge Nationals in Business and Enterprise

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by snapcrackleanna, Jul 11, 2012.

1. thebusinessone

thebusinessone New commenter

Hi

I am currently looking at this course to change to from BTEC. Can anyone comment on whether it is worth it or not? From reading this thread it seems there is a lot of confusion and although BTEC isn't great at the minute I know how it works and there is a good support system in place with plenty of resources floating about.

Thanks

2. PoundStretcher

PoundStretcher New commenter

It is still a unit based qualification with portfolio units and an examination in Introduction to Business which covers forms of organisation, objectives and similar items based upon a pre-issued case study. The exam is based upon a pre-release context which learners will need to go away and research, using their research in the exam, although they cannot take this into the exam room with them.

Each of the portfolio units is based around a mark scheme. With the BTEC if you cover the criterion and include the relevant evidence you achieve that level, whereas with the OCR you have to decide what mark band it falls in, and then attach an appropriate mark to it within sometime quite a wide range of marks. These are then totalled, marks submitted to OCR and then work is sampled.

I will be sticking with the BTEC as there is more certainty over what is required and as you say we know how it works.

3. sashley2

sashley2 New commenter

Hello

I have been asked to deliver this course for 1 year only starting this September. I am starting with unit 3 and would be really grateful for any resources anyone has. I am also looking for a completed piece of work for unit 2 and 3. I do have the sample work but wanted to see how other school are completing it.

sashley@sandonmail.com

Regards

4. Sophiecrooke

Sophiecrooke New commenter

Hi,

I don't suppose anyone has a scheme of work they would be willing to share with me? I am covering for an absent teacher, but there are no SOWs. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Sophie

5. jatinreddy41

jatinreddy41 New commenter

hello
    i am currently teaching RO62 but i am not sure, does anyone have any examplar coursework for RO62 this would be easy for me to mark. If you do have any examples can you please email it to jatinreddy41@gmail.com

Thank you

6. PoundStretcher

PoundStretcher New commenter

The one issue that I have is that as a school if it doesn't count to Progress/Attainment 8 measures then we cannot do it as it will affect overall performance of the school. Not knowing what will count towards 2019 measures is crippling the decision making ability of the department as a consequence to plan a curriculum consequently.

7. klan_mitchell

klan_mitchell New commenter

Hi

I have started to create resources for this course and will be creating a mini textbook and lessons during the summer term

L-Jefferson likes this.
  8. klan_mitchell

klan_mitchell New commenter

We teacher the Cambridge national and overall find it good. My only issue is that the pre release research brief is very misleading and often tries to trip the students up in my experience. I find it leads the students to focus and revision on topics the case study suggests will come up in the exam

An example of this is in Jan when the brief mentions sources of finance but break even was tested. I find the research brief offers very little help for the final exam.

However the course work elements as very good.

9. ash719

ash719 New commenter

Hi,

This course (Cambridge Nationals in Business and Enterprise) no longer exists. It has been replaced (and dfe approved) with effect from September 2017 with Cambridge Nationals in Enterprise and Marketing (The units are R064, R065 and R066)

10. staffam

staffam New commenter

Just to be clear....the Cambridge Nationals in Enterprise and Marketing is replacing the Cambridge National in Business and Enterprise from September 2017. The latter course does still exist; the final assessment opportunity will be June 2018. There will be no resit opportunity available. The last year 10 cohort start date was September 2016 and it remains on KS4 performance tables until 2018.

As stated above, the new Cambridge Nationals in Enterprise and Marketing are on the 2019 Performance Tables

11. L-Jefferson

L-Jefferson New commenter

Where are these available please.

12. kbeale1

kbeale1 New commenter

Hi,

I have inherited a year 11 class who are currently doing this course and its in a bit of a state. Does anyone have any advice or resources that you found helpful with marking the work and preparing for the exam? OCR marking scheme is very vague!