1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cambridge Latin Course

Discussion in 'Classics' started by andadam, Dec 12, 2011.

1. andadam

andadam New commenter

I'm considering using the CLC. Does anyone use the CLC for CE Latin? Does it work well? How far does one have to get through the stages to complete level 1, 2 and 3?

2. andadam

andadam New commenter

I'm considering using the CLC. Does anyone use the CLC for CE Latin? Does it work well? How far does one have to get through the stages to complete level 1, 2 and 3?

3. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

Hi, andadam. I've been teaching CE Latin for a few years, and in reply to your query I would say straightaway that the CLC goes way beyond the requirements of CE. The syllabus for CE Latin outlines very clearly a specific vocabulary of about 250 words, plus grammar, that students need to study. The 'danger' of using CLC is that students may end up with a comparatively immense vocabulary, but which does not necessarily coincide with the vocabulary required in the CE syllabus. Students do really need to know the specific vocab prescribed, or they will not be able to cope with the CE Latin paper.
    I found that very few Latin courses if any deal solely with the CE Latin vocab, so I have written my own Latin course using only the CE vocab, plus exercises. It covers everything required for Level One, with a couple of 'upgrade' booklets for Levels 2 and 3.
    If you e-mail me off forum I will send you (by e-mail) this course which I'm sure will suit you and your students.